2 Germanic Languages...

Arthur   Fri May 18, 2007 8:01 pm GMT
Thank you for your comments and correction Guest.

"If we put aside practical reasons and let the learning of either BE for the sake of learning a Germanic language..."

It sounds much better, thanks.
Arthur   Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 am GMT
Thank you for your comments and correction Guest.

"If we put aside practical reasons and let the learning of either BE for the sake of learning a Germanic language..."

It sounds much better, thanks.
Arthur   Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 am GMT
Sorry,

Due to an error, the above post was sent twice.
Noel   Sat May 19, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
Thanks Guys...! :-)
The Swede   Sun May 20, 2007 9:18 am GMT
"stamp - stampfen" is a very good example of why it´s a bit discutable if German is closer to English or not. Because in Swedish and English it´s called stamp but in German it´s called stampf and other examples are eat-äta-essen you see the t becomes s, appel-Apfel-äpple and foot-fuss-fot.
Thats the reason why I still hesitating if German vocab is closer to English than the Swedish vocab. Because it does not matter so much if the Core Germanic in English came from the West-Germanic part, the important thing is how the vocabularies looks today because during the times the words change.
Harry   Sun May 20, 2007 9:58 am GMT
okay, might be true. But this affects relatively few words (if we ignore some German dialects). Aren't there a lot of similar words in German and English where there isn't an equivalent in Swedish, but rather a typical Scandinavian one?
Anyway, I take my statement back: Concerning vocabulary, the similiarity between English-German and English-Swedish might be balanced.

The point I was trying to make with those examples I provided, is that afterall there is more similiarity between Swedish and German vocabulary than between English and Swedish (although I know that this wasn't the question, actually).
Of those examples, there was accidentally only one word (stamp) that shows more smiliarity to English than to German.
The Swede   Sun May 20, 2007 11:47 am GMT
Harry, you are right that there are smilarities between English and German that Swedish do not share e.g become-bekommen.
I can´t decide if which language of German and Swedish whcih is closest to English.
You are totally right when u say that German and Swedish are more similar to each other than to English.