[oI] - coin, join, toy
[aU] - count, boundary, how
[u:] - moon, soon, moo, soup
[O:] - thought, fall, form, storm, horse, for
[A:] - father, spa, spar, star, pasta
[@] - arrest, around
[@`] - center, enter, perfection
[3`] - perfect, third, furry

This accent is rhotic and has no trap-bath split or lot-cloth split and has flapping of intervocalic /t/.

What do you think about this proposed accent?
Guest   Sat May 19, 2007 1:10 am GMT
I think it should be cot-caught merged.
Travis   Sat May 19, 2007 3:31 am GMT
>>I think it should be cot-caught merged.<<

You do realize that (a bit) less than half of all English-speaking North Americans are cot-caught merged, much the less all English-speakers altogether, do you?
Gabriel   Sat May 19, 2007 5:03 am GMT
I think it has sensible suggestions. I also think it could do with plain [u:] in "suit", "lute", "chew" and "juice" though. Does it have flapping of /t/ after /n/ or /r/?
Guest   Sat May 19, 2007 5:06 am GMT
<<You do realize that (a bit) less than half of all English-speaking North Americans are cot-caught merged, much the less all English-speakers altogether, do you?>>

So? It may not be the most common thing, but that doesn't mean it's not the best way.
Jim   Sat May 19, 2007 1:33 pm GMT
Is it the best way?
Gabriel   Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 am GMT
Some further points:

"fail", "sail", "stale" and "bail" should have [eI], since this is what's commonly used in those words in both RP and GA.

"feel" and "eel" should have [i:] for the same reason. Similarly, "pool" "tool" and "rule" belong with the [u:] words.

"bowl", "stole" and "roll" should have [7U] (or, perhaps, a rounded allophone before dark L such as [QU] or [OU]). [O@] seems a strange choice in these words.

All of these comments, of course, given the assumption that an "international accent" should stand halfway between RP and GA.
Travis   Sun May 20, 2007 6:23 am GMT
>>
"fail", "sail", "stale" and "bail" should have [eI], since this is what's commonly used in those words in both RP and GA.

"feel" and "eel" should have [i:] for the same reason. Similarly, "pool" "tool" and "rule" belong with the [u:] words.<<

The reason why centering diphthongs were specified in these cases is that it is common in Engilsh dialects to have breaking in /i/ and /u/ followed by /l/, and it is not too uncommon for such to happen with /e/. The matter, though, is that this is really not the use of centering diphthongs but rather the syllabification of said /l/. Another note is that this is purely allophonic, so there is no reason to need to specify these separately in writing.
guest   Mon May 21, 2007 11:53 am GMT
I think giraffe and zebra should rhyme.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 21, 2007 3:27 pm GMT
There was this tall fellow called Stu
Who wasn't quite sure what to do.
When his head hit the ceiling
He had this strange feeling
Of being a giraffe in the zoo.