Expressing doubt

Bridget   Mon May 21, 2007 8:59 am GMT
Do these have the same meaning regarding a doubt in the speaker's mind?

If you knew the answer, you'd tell me.
If you know the answer, why don't you tell me?
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 am GMT
"If you knew the answer, you'd tell me."

This means that the speaker doesn't think that the listener knows the answer, but if they did, they would tell the speaker.

"If you know the answer, why don't you tell me?"

This means that the speaker thinks that the listener knows the answer but is withholding it.
M56   Mon May 21, 2007 9:39 am GMT
>>"If you know the answer, why don't you tell me?"

This means that the speaker thinks that the listener knows the answer but is withholding it. <<

We can't be sure. It could mean that the speaker doubts the listener's claim to possessing the answer.
furrykef   Mon May 21, 2007 10:59 am GMT
M56 is right. It depends on context and possibly tone of voice. In this case, if the speaker doubts it, he'd probably use a sarcastic tone of voice (although not necessarily an exaggerated one).
priya   Mon May 21, 2007 11:09 am GMT
i just want to know whenever i suppose to talk in english in my office i feel very scarred, my hand becomes very chill becoz of that i feel very difficult to express myself and i become very self concious that am i using correct english i dont know why? please advice me
Pos   Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 am GMT
<i just want to know whenever i suppose to talk in english in my office i feel very scarred, my hand becomes very chill becoz of that i feel very difficult to express myself and i become very self concious that am i using correct english i dont know why? please advice me >

I suggest you create a new topic for that discussion, Priya. This one is about use of the above sentences.

Thanks.