She blew

Humble   Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 am GMT
Hi,
In one of BBC programmes I heard, “Oh the wind, she blew…” It was about windy weather. Why _she_?

Thanks.
Skippy   Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 am GMT
Oftentimes, inanimate objects are given the female pronoun to show respect (as in referring to nations or ships as 'she'). I'm assuming that here it is an attempt to personify it for dramatic effect and the author has simply chosen a feminine form to create a certain connotation, perhaps that the wind was gentle (whereas were it 'he' i would assume it meant more violently).
furrykef   Tue May 22, 2007 7:19 am GMT
It's a poetic thing. This usually occurs in the feminine gender... "Oh, the wind, he blew..." wouldn't sound right. This would only be possible with specific metaphors such as "Old Man Winter" or "Father Time", and they would need to be mentioned by name for the use of the masculine pronoun to make sense to the listener.

Something similar that you encounter more often is ships (and, less often, other vehicles such as cars) referred to as "she". For instance, if you spot a shiny new car, you could say, "She's a real beauty!". Or you might hear something like, "The QE2 began her maiden voyage on May 2, 1969." But it sounds silly if you overdo it, especially in reference to vehicles other than ships, so it's safest to stick with saying "it" most of the time. :)

- Kef
Guest   Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 am GMT
She blew me. It felt very good.
Guest   Tue May 22, 2007 8:03 am GMT
>>She blew me. It felt very good.<<

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks10.gif
furrykef   Tue May 22, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
eBaumsWorld is a terrible website. Eric Bauman makes millions of dollars by *stealing* the hard work of other people and taking credit for it. Anything you find there that's at all worth seeing, you can find elsewhere.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 1:32 am GMT
>>eBaumsWorld is a terrible website. Eric Bauman makes millions of dollars by *stealing* the hard work of other people and taking credit for it. Anything you find there that's at all worth seeing, you can find elsewhere. <<

Sheesh.

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/1489/threadsuckschicksuckro5.gif

There. Happy?
Humble   Wed May 23, 2007 4:58 am GMT
The ship "she" is well known. I wonder, though if I ever could refer to a ship as "it", I mean, would it be considered an error?
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 5:02 am GMT
No. It is more common to refer to a ship as "it" than "she". "She" is a more poetic use and implies some degree of personification of the ship.
furrykef   Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 am GMT
It's never an error to refer to a vehicle (ship or otherwise) as "it". :)
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 9:01 am GMT
It's never an error to refer to anything that isn't a person as "it".
furrykef   Wed May 23, 2007 9:51 am GMT
Well, it could be argued that an animal should be referred to as "he" or "she" once its sex is known, though it technically wouldn't be an error not to do so. We almost always use he/she when referring to our cats, for example.

But other than that, you're correct, of course. :)

- Kef
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 9:54 am GMT
You don't have to call a cat "he" or "she". Maybe you're a cat lover.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 10:37 am GMT
In cricket, which is a sport. All commentators call a cricket ball as she.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 10:58 am GMT
>>In cricket, which is a sport. All commentators call a cricket ball as she. <<

Maybe in Hindi or Punjabi, the other languages of cricket, but not in English.