Americans and language learning?

Franco   Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 am GMT
Where is the thread on americans and learning languages. I asked questions and I seek resolve!

Why Americans who claim to be good language learners speak forieng languages on worse level than Europeans who claim to be bad language learners? It's a serious question for once, not source for new hatred attacks!
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 8:48 am GMT
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
@Franco

I know what you mean .... that's the problem with the Americans .. they all are so showy

-> they say "I'm ..." - it only means they have some ... ancestry and not that they are actually from that country

-> they say "I speak ...." - it only means they know some words but not they are able to converse in that language

Europeans are much more modest and realistic
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:29 pm GMT
Because we speak English, the most important language in the world. And in this world, you will be judged by your English. The thread was shut down for a reason, as it was an attempt to start a flame war, just like this one is as well.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 5:40 pm GMT
Because they are not able and they are lazy, so they always advance this trite and distressing excuse everyone is fed up to hear.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
Because they are not able and they are lazy, so they always advance this trite and distressing excuse everyone is fed up to hear.

It's the truth. We're not lazy or unable, we just have better things to do than to learn languages that we'll never use. We focus our energies in other directions.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
Cut the bullshit with this kind of discussion. This website has gone to hell in the past 5 or 6 weeks with all of this stupid name calling. Get rid of this thread and all others like it.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 8:18 pm GMT
Franco is the problem. He is a nuisance and an internet tyant.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
Franco is an internet troll. He has nothing intelligent to say. Everytime he posts something, he comes across as obnoxious and sarcastic at the same time. I would urge Brennus to delete most or all of what he has to say. He , and many others have nothing substantial or educational to mention regarding languages and the knowledge that it takes to aquire them.
RR   Fri May 25, 2007 8:56 pm GMT
Gringos are monolingual, HAHAHAHA!
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
The smartest thing Franco ever said was that Spanish will never take over in the United States because all of the second- and third-generation Hispanics learn to speak English.
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
If the posts are cancelled you'll show all your democracy and free speech
Guest   Fri May 25, 2007 10:25 pm GMT
It's the truth. We're not lazy or unable, we just have better things to do than to learn languages that we'll never use. We focus our energies in other directions.

People DO NOT learn languages ONLY for a mere use, but I understand perfectly this is an impossible concept for you to understand.
There is no the mere materialistic utility which urge people to learn things (like you do).
Which are those "better things" in which you focus all your energy nobody knows.
ANd yes, it's a matter of lazyness and being unable and above all total indifference for all the things which don't take a ready materialistic profit.
Franco   Fri May 25, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
I'm not talking about Americans in general, I mean the americans which actually like learning languages and do it seriously. Must be american education system.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 12:03 am GMT
<People DO NOT learn languages ONLY for a mere use, but I understand perfectly this is an impossible concept for you to understand.>

Stop with the hyperbole and ad hominem attacks. Of course I understand that some people learn languages for pleasure. The point is that more people in places like Europe are multilingual because they have to be.

<There is no the mere materialistic utility which urge people to learn things (like you do).>

In a lot of cases, yes, there is that urge.

<Which are those "better things" in which you focus all your energy nobody knows.>

Like science, engineering, and medicine?

<ANd yes, it's a matter of lazyness and being unable and above all total indifference for all the things which don't take a ready materialistic profit.>

No, here in America we have some of the brighest and hardest-working people in the world. If multilingualism were important or necessary to us, we'd have mastered it by now. It's not as if anything else on this planet has been too difficult for us to succeed at.