Differences between English and American

USA   Fri May 25, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
Could someone explain how the differences between the two have occurred

Ma'am (Spam) short for madam in American English
Marm (Arm) short for madam in British English

As you can see the British write and pronounce the shortened form as Marm, or is it that I spelling it wrong i.e. ma'am is pronounce marm.

Also can't find out why madam is shortened to marm over here. The American varation actually makes more sense as all that is removed is a 'd', but you know those British.
Travis   Fri May 25, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
>>Could someone explain how the differences between the two have occurred

Ma'am (Spam) short for madam in American English
Marm (Arm) short for madam in British English

As you can see the British write and pronounce the shortened form as Marm, or is it that I spelling it wrong i.e. ma'am is pronounce marm.

Also can't find out why madam is shortened to marm over here. The American varation actually makes more sense as all that is removed is a 'd', but you know those British.<<

The matter, though, is that if "madam" because of the trap-bath split became [m@"dA~:m] or ["mA:d@~m] and then the [@d] or [d@~] were elided, it would be just [mA~:m] (assuming that the following /m/ would renasalize the /A/ in the second case) in southern English English dialects. Considering that most southern English English dialects are nonrhotic, "marm" would represent /mA:m/, would be [mA~:m] and thus identical with the pronunciation of "madam".
Liz   Fri May 25, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
I've usually seen it written as "ma'am" in British English, too.
Travis   Fri May 25, 2007 4:52 pm GMT
>>I've usually seen it written as "ma'am" in British English, too.<<

One note, though, is that even though it is spelled that way, which would imply /"m{@m/ or /m@"{m/ (or maybe you could consider that to be /"m{{m/ or /m{"{m/), it is really pronounced monosyllabically in North American English, being [mE{~:m] here and [m{~:m] in General American.
Gabriel   Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
I was watching "The Queen" the other day, and in it, Tony Blair is told to address the Queen pronouncing "Ma'am" as in "ham" ([m{m]] and not as in "farm" ([mA:m]).
Travis   Fri May 25, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
Of course, Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh and is not well-known for speaking cut glass RP, so that could be a factor. Even if what I said were true, it would still only apply to southern English English dialects (and not even English English in general).
angie   Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
I know that when addressing the queen, you say "your majesty" 1st then ma'am pronounced 'mam' like jam. when addressing british armed forces officers it's pronounced 'marm' like farm. i guess that doesn't really help much!
Milton   Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:33 am GMT
but many accents in Southern England have /a/ instead of /A/, so marm/ma'am is /ma:m/, like Chicagoan MOM ;)
Milton   Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:40 am GMT
take look at this map:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/03/27/naccent27.jpg

'a' means [{] (N. England)
'aa' means [a:] (S. England)
'ah' means [A:] (London)
Skippy   Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 am GMT
I'm laughing at the thought of pronouncing "ma'am" as in "farm," because when you say it like that with an English accent it sounds like you're saying "mom" (Brit Eng mum). Good times. I would NOT call the Queen that.
Guest   Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 am GMT
"Of course, Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh and is not well-known for speaking cut glass RP, so that could be a factor. Even if what I said were true, it would still only apply to southern English English dialects (and not even English English in general)."

Have you read "Life at the Bottom" by Theodore Dalrymple? Blair's accent and why he speaks that way is discussed.