Which language requires most effort to speak?

Ocnarf   Sat May 26, 2007 9:34 am GMT
What language do you think most demanding on the tongue and facial muscles to speak? For example, I find Russian makes my mouth feel very sore from speaking it because of stretching the face for making the correct sounds, English on other hand I could speak for hours without pain, the muscles are so much more relaxed. French sounds like it might be hard, but I haven't tried it properly excesively.

This is a serious topic.
Franco   Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am GMT
I'm talking about pure physical effort, not thinking effort for grammar etc.

Ps: I've turned over the new leaf because my posts were often deleted. Now I will behave.
Peter   Sat May 26, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
I would say that Slavic languages require a great deal of effort with the jaw muscles. A Polish native who is a aquaintance of mine showed me a magazine written in Polish, and I found the words difficult to pronounce. I'm more familiar with Romance languages, which I find to be more mellow and easier to pronounce.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
I'd say Slavic languages,along with Greek and Hungarian are the hardest to pronounce. And maybe some Nordic languages too,although they sound better than the others.
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 12:12 am GMT
It was SOOOO hard to figure out who OCNARF was.
Franco   Sun May 27, 2007 2:24 am GMT
English seems to come from all the troat only, where as slavic languages take bending by lips.

Guest, well done, but I don't think you're smart.
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 2:40 am GMT
Your mom's language.
Neol   Sun May 27, 2007 3:05 am GMT
I say French...!
hany baker   Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 am GMT
i need your help to teach me english .i know some wards and i need to know more
hany   Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 am GMT
i don't know you will help me or not .but thank you any way
Guest   Wed May 30, 2007 11:38 am GMT
English is very hard to pronounce with its apparently arbitrary pronunciation with thousands of special rules that even native speakers don't know all.

Only in English you spell it GHOTI but you pronounce it FISH!

Plus, American English is hard because because you have to speak like you have a hot potato and a chewing gum in your mouth all the time.
American English sounds so nasty and uneducated!
Franco   Thu May 31, 2007 12:09 am GMT
But that is just english spelling rules that are hard, not the actual sound-generation.
furrykef   Thu May 31, 2007 1:19 am GMT
<< English is very hard to pronounce with its apparently arbitrary pronunciation with thousands of special rules that even native speakers don't know all.

Only in English you spell it GHOTI but you pronounce it FISH! >>

But you don't pronounce "ghoti" as "fish". Yes, I've heard of how it's derived ("gh" as in "laugh", "o" as in "women", "ti" as in "nation"), but that ignores the problem of position: "gh" is never pronounced like an "f" when it begins a word, for instance, nor is "ti" ever pronounced like "sh" at the end of the word. The "o" in "women" is an exception that occurs only in that word. Whoever invented this word to show how bizarre English spelling is simply cheated. Indeed, it actually proves that there is method to the madness, because we know that "ghoti" cannot be pronounced "fish" and there are specific reasons why.

I do agree that English spelling is far from perfect, but it's not so illogical that "ghoti" can be pronounced "fish". :)

- Kef
elbarto   Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 am GMT
He was probably just exaggerating, but the idea is that English is definitely one of the worse European languages in spelling matters, and even English speakers know it and recognize it (which is a good thing).

For example I bet that most people writing an official document, would not be able to do it without using the “Spelling Check”.
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 4:06 am GMT
<<For example I bet that most people writing an official document, would not be able to do it without using the “Spelling Check”.>>

That's not true. Most educated/smart people know how to write in English without having to use spellcheck like a crutch. I can understand how spelling might be a difficult thing for a non-native speaker to grasp, but it's not the case for everyone, so you should be more cautious when you make statements like that.