Chinese and the future

A-S   Sat May 26, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
In 2035, China could surpass the USA economicaly, so the Chinese language (already spoken by 1,3 billion speakers) would become the new international language.
What do you think about it?
Franco   Sat May 26, 2007 12:53 pm GMT
Blather. No one in world will learn that hard language unless they remove the characters. Maybe make international form of language using pinyin, but chinese still can use characters domestically?

What you think of this?
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 1:09 pm GMT
It shouldn't have a major impact on English or Spanish. Many languages will probably adopt some Chinese words or phrases. That's all.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 2:07 pm GMT
<<It shouldn't have a major impact on English or Spanish. Many languages will probably adopt some Chinese words or phrases. That's all. >>

As French and English did.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
The problem with languages like Chinese, Russian, Spanish, and Hindi ever becoming "international" lingua francas is that they're too geographically isolated. But any language spoken by the world's strongest country will have an advantage. However it's yet to be seen if China will surpass the United States in any capacity.
K. T.   Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 pm GMT
I think the characters and the tonal part of Mandarin will prevent it from being learned by many as a second language. The communists had to simplify writing for the masses. At least that's what I've been told when I noticed that 魚 had become 鱼.

(The character for fish. It looks like a fish if you know how to look at it. LOL.)

Still, Chinese is a very interesting language.
kawaii   Sun May 27, 2007 1:12 am GMT
Japanese and Korean have adopted Chinese characters to build their own writting langauge, and many Japanese and korean can master 2000+ characters in daily life. But both Japanese and Korean failed to speak good Chinese, therefore, I think the similar thing may happen to other countries if China becomes one super power in the world.

That is to say, people would write and read in chinese, but they cannot speak good chinese. Anyway, the history of East Asia has shown that Chinese language can be a good tool for communication in writting and reading.

Today, many korean and most japanese have a good command of 2000+ chinese characters. Actually, 2000+ chinese characters are enough for people to express most thoughts and ideas. So learning to write and read chinese is not so difficult for western people if they can begin learn chinese characters in primary schools.

I admit that learning to speak good chinese is very difficult for non-native people if it is not impossible. Therefore chinese will not replace English as an international langauge for oral communication, but it will be an international langaue for information communication, second to English.
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 am GMT
In the future everyone will be speaking "Robot."

1011110 10001 0101100101010 1010100 0111111101 0101 01 0100 10010 010
Johnaeus   Sun May 27, 2007 3:48 am GMT
I think we don't even have to bother asking this question. The answer is obvious.

Let's say that China becomes a Super-Power. Do you see Polish and Spanish people for example speaking Chinese between them? Let's wake up guys. But you already see them speaking English.

Chinese (Mandarin if you want, as being the most spoken ‘Chinese’ language) will be spoken in China and (maybe) by some partners dealing with China. Even young Chinese population will learn English. And if the western countries have an interest in China, don't forget that China has an even bigger interest in the western countries. China needs to buy resources and to sell its products.

Let's don't forget that English imposed itself as a “ligua franca” (besides other well knows reasons) also by the fact that it is a simple language (mainly from the grammar point of view).

P.S. In the 90s the Americans started to learn Japanese as Japan had been seen as a potential super-power and an important partner for the US. In a few years the Americans cooled down with their Japanese. Now, learning Mandarin in the US is “en vogue”. They’ll just cool down…

Regards,
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 3:56 am GMT
Good point, Johnaeus. Here in the United States we're treating China the exact same way we treated Japan in the 80s and 90s--with fear and respect. And that includes what you mentioned in learning the languages.
kawaii   Sun May 27, 2007 11:49 am GMT
Keynes once said: in the long run, we are all dead.

So if I were in 12th century, I would learn to speak Latin.
If I were in 17th century, I would learn to speak French.
If I were in 20th century, I would learn to speak English.
If I were in 21st century, I would learn to speak Chinese.
And if spanish were more important than Chinese in 21st century, I would learn to speak Spanish.

So, don't tell me that "Now, learning Mandarin in the US is “en vogue”. They’ll just cool down… ", because I must know which languae I should master so that I can succeed in the future.
furrykef   Sun May 27, 2007 12:25 pm GMT
<< So, don't tell me that "Now, learning Mandarin in the US is “en vogue”. They’ll just cool down… ", because I must know which languae I should master so that I can succeed in the future. >>

Well, you can't figure out which language that is from population numbers or economic status alone. I am convinced that, no matter how large or powerful China gets, there will generally not be that big a need to learn Chinese. If you want to work directly with China, then of course knowing Chinese will help, but I don't think there will be any particular need to do so. Any company working with China will have a few translators, and that's all that's really needed. That situation is no different than it is now, right?

If you want to learn Chinese, by all means learn Chinese, but it'd be a better idea to learn it just because you love the culture or the language. Besides, you would never have the patience to learn it otherwise -- at least, not both the spoken and written languages. Learning Chinese is a HUGE undertaking that's an order of magnitude more difficult than learning, say, a Romance language. Staying motivated is a must, and you simply can't do it if you're learning only for utilitarian reasons... unless maybe your life depends on it.

- Kef