hitten

Bill   Sun May 27, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
I have "hitten" as the past participle of "hit". Does anyone else here use this?
Lazar   Sun May 27, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
No, I've never heard of that participial form.
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 7:11 pm GMT
No, it is "hit" for me.
furrykef   Sun May 27, 2007 7:31 pm GMT
Never heard it.
guest   Sun May 27, 2007 10:43 pm GMT
Around here, we don't use "hitten", either (but we do say "gotten", sometimes).
Travis   Mon May 28, 2007 1:56 am GMT
I myself sporadically use the word "hitten" as a past participle alongside "hit", like many other past participles where I have both forms with and without "-en" /@n/ attached such as "drunk"/"drunken", "sunk"/"sunken", "shrunk"/"shrunken" and so on.
Brian   Mon May 28, 2007 2:11 am GMT
"Hitten" sounds very strange and I've never heard anyone use it. The reason for this is that it is not a word.
Travis   Mon May 28, 2007 2:15 am GMT
>>"Hitten" sounds very strange and I've never heard anyone use it. The reason for this is that it is not a word.<<

Just because it is not used in your dialect and does not show up as an entry in a dictionary does not mean that it is not a word in native usage in some dialects. Deprecating particular words because "they are not words" is for prescriptivist English teachers ignorant of linguistics (or even just the English language outside of whatever formal standard they have been taught).
K. T.   Tue May 29, 2007 3:12 am GMT
I doesn't terribly sound strange to me, but I don't use it. It reminds me of the way some people in Appalachia talk.
K. T.   Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 am GMT
Uh, "It doesn't sound terribly strange..." On the other hand, I use "beholden" sometimes and "yonder"...