Using "would".

Maurice   Mon May 28, 2007 9:18 am GMT
Any ideas as to why "that would be" is used here?

1. "... I do have some answers for you. You asked about one person declaring all the income and one taking all the expense. The answer to that would be no."

2. A: Are you Steve, the guy who lives near my sister? B: Yes, that would be me.

3. Two travelers see a dog get hit by a truck. A: Did you see that? Horrible! B: That would be one dead dog.
Antonio   Mon May 28, 2007 1:16 pm GMT
If I told you the reason for that is means of "idiomatic usage", would you get happier than you would be, staying with no answer...?

As some usual definitions, "will" and "would" come to place when the speaker wishes to express ´intention or prediction´, being ´would´the conditional of ´will´. And you can clearly put your 1st and 2nd exmaples into that rule, ´prediction´.
Hope it helped :)
Maurice   Mon May 28, 2007 3:58 pm GMT
<And you can clearly put your 1st and 2nd exmaples into that rule, ´prediction>

OK, Antonio, thanks for the input, but what is the differnce between using "will" or "would" here?

<<<3. Two travelers see a dog get hit by a truck. A: Did you see that? Horrible! B: That would/will be one dead dog. >>>
Lazar   Mon May 28, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
This page may meet Wikipedia’s criteria for speedy deletion.

If this page does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, or you intend to fix it, please remove this notice, but do not remove this notice from pages that you have created yourself. If you created this page and you disagree with this page’s proposed speedy deletion, please add (in addition to the speedy deletion template):

{{hangon}}

to the top of this page below this tag, and then explain why you believe this article should not be deleted on its talk page.

This will alert administrators to your intention, and should permit you the time to write your explanation. Administrators, remember to check what links here, the page history (last edit), the page log, and any revisions of CSD before deletion.
Pos   Mon May 28, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
<This page may meet Wikipedia’s criteria for speedy deletion. >

Can you explain the purpose of that post, Lazar?
Adam   Mon May 28, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
"Would" is conditional tense and "will" is future tense.
Pos   Mon May 28, 2007 9:15 pm GMT
<"Would" is conditional tense and "will" is future tense. >

There's no such thing as "conditional tense".
furrykef   Mon May 28, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
Technically it's called the "conditional mood"... but let's not go into that again. ;)

You can't use "will" in these sentences, because we're not discussing the future. The alternative is the present tense: "The answer to that is no", "Yes, that's me", and "That's one dead dog".

Unfortunately, I can't really figure out why we use "would be" in these sentences. It's certainly not required, nor would it seem unnatural not to use this construction. Of course, it would sound unnatural if you misuse it, so when in doubt, it's probably better not to. It's one of those things where if you hear it enough, you'll probably get a sense of how it's used and when you can use it yourself.

- Kef
M56   Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 am GMT
<You can't use "will" in these sentences, because we're not discussing the future.>

"Will" is not always future reference. Didn't you know that?
M56   Tue May 29, 2007 9:50 am GMT
<Any ideas as to why "that would be" is used here?>

It's used as a distancing effect, as are many "past forms" and modals.

<1. "... I do have some answers for you. You asked about one person declaring all the income and one taking all the expense. The answer to that would be no." >

Distancing oneself from the "fact" - there's always a chance the speaker could be wrong or misformed.

<2. A: Are you Steve, the guy who lives near my sister? B: Yes, that would be me. >

Politeness/formality-probability.

<3. Two travelers see a dog get hit by a truck. A: Did you see that? Horrible! B: That would be one dead dog. >

Logical deduction, but again distancing oneself from the fact. Distancing onself more that if one used "will" (which is also possible, no matter what others may say).

It's all about using less direct, more distant forms.
Bridget   Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 am GMT
Note the differences here:

Results 1 - 100 of about 372,000 for "will for sure".
Results 1 - 100 of about 72,300 for "would for sure".

It's more common to add "for sure" with "will".
Guest   Tue May 29, 2007 10:29 am GMT
Other examples of the same:

This is what I call annoying.

It is better to catch the early train.
I think it's better to catch the early train.
I think it will better to catch the early train.
I think it would better to catch the early train.
I would say I we'd do better to catch the early train.

We should stop for lunch soon.
I would think we might stop for lunch soon.
M56   Tue May 29, 2007 10:46 am GMT
Edit:

Other examples of the same:

This is what I would call annoying.
furrykef   Tue May 29, 2007 10:59 am GMT
<< <You can't use "will" in these sentences, because we're not discussing the future.>

"Will" is not always future reference. Didn't you know that? >>

Well, it would be in those sentences. ;) I just wanted to keep the explanation simple.

<< <Any ideas as to why "that would be" is used here?>

It's used as a distancing effect, as are many "past forms" and modals. >>

I'd say that's the best explanation, but it doesn't quite fully explain it. For instance, in the sentence "That would be one dead dog", no distancing is necessary; it's not the sort of sentence one would say if one were being particularly polite or formal.

- Kef
M56   Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 am GMT
<Well, it would be in those sentences. ;) I just wanted to keep the explanation simple. >

There 's no inteded future refence in any of those examples. They are all using the modal "would" either for a PRESENT deduction or TIMELESS fact.

<"That would be one dead dog", no distancing is necessary; it's not the sort of sentence one would say if one were being particularly polite or formal. >

The distancing is in certainty, or lack of it, based on direct evidence or logical deduction. It's nothing to do with politeness.