What American accent do you have?

Sam   Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:29 am GMT
Could any one help me about some feature of Michigan dialec?
Who speak it?
Where it is spoken?
And how it is used with example?

Thank you very much,,,,,,,,,
Sam
O'Bruadair   Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:46 am GMT
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!

SOUTHERN,

purty damn accurate.
Lo   Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 am GMT
"Northeast New England

The kind of accent they have in Boston. There is more to it than just r's. Like, you say "don" and "dawn" the same while the people down in NYC don't. "

I guess it's correct... lol
katyafan   Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:12 am GMT
I got this:

"Neutral

You're not Northern, Southern, or Western, you're just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don't really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up."

SO-wow--i'm American. I didn't need a quiz for that. But I was born and raised in Los Angeles. Anyone else from LA, CA get this result?
Marc   Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
>>
SO-wow--i'm American. I didn't need a quiz for that. But I was born and raised in Los Angeles. Anyone else from LA, CA get this result? <<

Hmm. Maybe you should try taking the quiz again. Do you have the same vowel in these words: "bother-father-cot-caught-don-dawn"? How about "pin" and "pen"? Do "bag" and "vague" rhyme?

I got "North Central", which is not correct. I'm from the Western US. It probably came up with North Central because I have Canadian raising and the bag-vague merger, but not Canadian because I pronounce "pasta" as "pahsta". For the next version of the test, I hope they fix that problem. It should come up with more questions to distinguish the West from the North Central.

I'll bet that if you take it again, it'll show the correct region. Unless you really do have an inconsistent accent: e.g. maybe you pronounce "marry" and "merry" differently, but "cot" and "caught" the same, and "pin" and "pen" the same, but "don" and "dawn" differently. So it's either that, and you have a very unusual accent, or you accidentally checked one of the boxes wrong.
Marc   Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
>> "Yooper" is basically the dialect spoken on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is basically an extreme North Central American English dialect, with features such as interdental hardening (and not just in word-initial position, unlike here), highly rounded middle and high back vowels, the use of word "yah", and, in older people, the merger of /w/ and /v/. However, I am not really familiar enough with it to give many details beyond that. My impression of it, though, is that it really is not all that different from the dialect here, except that it is much more extreme overall. <<

I think I heard someone with that accent once. The lady said: "It's good, yah?" "Ooh you want to gow owver dere, yah?"
Travis   Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:25 am GMT
>>I think I heard someone with that accent once. The lady said: "It's good, yah?" "Ooh you want to gow owver dere, yah?"<<

*I* speak like that, and I'm quite a ways south of the Upper Peninsula... even though then that would be more like "It's goo-t, yah? Ooh ya wa~t tiu goh 'o-hr dere, yah?" (to use eye dialect) or ["I?ts "gU_+:t "ja: "o: "j@: "wQ~? "t_j:}_^u: "go: "?o::R "dE_r:R "ja:] (in X-SAMPA).
Travis   Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:33 am GMT
That should really be ["g_0U_+:t] or even ["kU_+:t] rather than ["gU_+:t] and ["t_j_h:}_^u:] rather than ["t_j:}_^u:] to be correct above.
Jon   Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:29 am GMT
Neutral:

“You're not Northern, Southern, or Western, you're just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don't really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.”

Cool beans :-) I think they needed to add a question regarding the pronunciation of ‘wh’ v. ‘w’.

Anyway... g’day mates :-þ

Jon
Marc   Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
>> Cool beans :-) I think they needed to add a question regarding the pronunciation of ‘wh’ v. ‘w’. <<

I don't think that would be all that useful. Lots of speakers hear someone do that and add it to their own speech. Sometimes even I do it. I've heard that some regions still preserve it--I think New England and the South or something. But since so many people scattered around North America do it, or even think it's more correct, so they would say they did it on the test. It's a similar thing with the "do" and "dew" distinction. While it's fairly obsolete except in the South, many people do have the distinction, so it wouldn't be a very good marker of region. After watching the TV or listening to the radio, sometimes I start saying things like "Chooseday" for "Tuesday"--the broadcasters all seem to do it.
Marc   Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:02 am GMT
>> Anyway... g’day mates :-þ <<

Are you Australian or something?