How do you pronounce ''quart'' and ''quarter''?

SpaceFlight   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:22 pm GMT
I pronounce them /kOrt/ ''kort'' and /kOrt@`/ ''korter''.
Lazar   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
I pronounce them [kwOr\t] and [kwOr\4@`].
Tiffany   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
Quart = "kwort"
Quarter = "kworter"
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:23 pm GMT
Kwort and kworder
Tiffany   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:40 pm GMT
Yes, rethinking it, quarter should be "kworder" except in situations where I need to emphasize the word.
Travis   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:27 pm GMT
I pronounce the two both with /k/ and /kw/ initially. These days I tend to favor the use of /k/, even though I probably originally favored /kw/, but with it still coexisting in parallel with /k/. Of course, this may partly due to my general bias against spelling pronunciations, of which the use of /kwo/ (or /kwOr/ in dialects with /O/ before /r/) in places where it alternates with /ko/ (or /kOr/ in dialects with /O/ before /r/) apparently is. Hence,

"quart" : /kort/ -> [k_hor\?] or /kwort/ -> [kw_0or\?]
"quarter : /"kort@`/ -> ["k_hor\.4@`] or /'kwort@`/ -> [kw_0or\.4@`]
"coordinate" (noun) : /"kordInIt/ -> ["k_ho:r\.4I~.nI?] or /"kwordInIt/ -> ["kw_0o:r\.4I~.nI?]
"coordinate" (verb) : /"kordInet/ -> ["k_ho:r\.4I~.ne?] or /"kwordInet/ -> ["kw_0o:r\.4I~.ne?]
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:03 pm GMT
I say "co - ordinate" for the verb, not kwordinate or kordinate. But for the noun form, coordinates (as in latitude and longitude) I DO say "kwordinits". Go figure.
jed   Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:57 am GMT
how about cooooor din it?
jed   Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:58 am GMT
just kidding...i'm sorry to say that i pronounce it corter but I know i'm wrong.flog me with jlo.
Guest   Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:42 am GMT
"kworder"? Whence the D?
JJM   Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:07 am GMT
Guest:

"kworder" is quite common in American English.

And with regard to your "Whence the D?" comment, don't confuse spelling with pronunciation.

In other words, "tho"? Why add "-ugh"?
Uriel   Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:48 pm GMT
We Americans despise the lowly T, and try to undermine it as often as possible. Hence, "kworder" instead of "kworter".

On the other hand, we take tender loving care of all the poor little orphan R's that nobody else seems to want...
SpaceFlight   Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:33 pm GMT
<<i'm sorry to say that i pronounce it corter but I know i'm wrong.>>

/kOrt@`/ for ''quarter'' is not wrong. That's how I pronounce it.
jed   Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:54 am GMT
flog me with anna nicole's smiths
Kirk   Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:04 am GMT
<<We Americans despise the lowly T, and try to undermine it as often as possible. Hence, "kworder" instead of "kworter".>>

Actually, to be technical, it's not pronounced with a /d/, but a voiced alveolar tap (/d/ is a voiced alveolar stop). The sign for a voiced alveolar tap is /4/ in XSAMPA, thus I have:

/k(w)Ort@r/ --> [k_h(w)Or4@`]

<<"kworder" is quite common in American English. >>

And Canadian ;)