Is there a general word for such people?

Pos   Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:43 am GMT
Resultados 1 - 100 de aproximadamente 19.500 páginas en inglés de "nine-to-fivers"
Pos   Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:18 am GMT
<<<Pos, do you have some sort of bone to pick with me?>>>

As a language student, nothing irritates me more than when native English speakers make unqualified comments such as this:

"Words like "nine-to-fiver" will be understood, but they're not typical words that one would find in the dictionary."

You should be more responsible in your approach to givin advice on usage.
furrykef   Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:56 am GMT
Well, I maintain that it still isn't a typical word, even though it's found in the dictionary. It may be a common word and it will certainly be readily understood, but it definitely has a strong neologistic feel to it. Many instances are probably independent inventions of the word by formation from "nine-to-five".

Being a native speaker doesn't make me an authority, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression: I'll readily concede that I'm not. But it does mean that I at least have some kind of experience with the language to offer.

- Kef
Pos   Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:31 pm GMT
<It may be a common word and it will certainly be readily understood, but it definitely has a strong neologistic feel to it.>

As once did part-timer and full-timer.

<But it does mean that I at least have some kind of experience with the language to offer. >

The language is enormous, and no native speaker can hope to be familiar with every single term used. Problem is, many native speakers base their answers here on their own personal experince of the language, which is normally not very objective. Many learners would take your statement about nine-to-fivers not being in dictionaries as fact. If you'd taken the effort to Google for "nine-to-fiver", you'd have seen that it is used and is in the dictionary.
furrykef   Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:15 pm GMT
All right, point taken.
windy city   Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 pm GMT
Google is not an accurate assessment of English usage, either. For one thing, there are millions of non-native speakers with sites in English. For another, I've seen a lot of non-standard usage (including typos) from native speakers. There are 1,600,000 hits for the entry "stoopid." That hardly makes it standard. ("Stupid" has 87,800,000.)

I'm a native speaker of English who has lived in the Midwest, West Coast, and East Coast, and after five decades I've never heard anyone use the term "nine-to-fiver." You can pick on Kef all you want, but he's right--you'll be undersood, but it sounds like a made-up word.

And of course part-timer and full-timer once had that feel. So did thousands of words that are now standard. Maybe nine-to-fiver will become standard one day, but it's not there now.
Travis   Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
>>I'm a native speaker of English who has lived in the Midwest, West Coast, and East Coast, and after five decades I've never heard anyone use the term "nine-to-fiver." You can pick on Kef all you want, but he's right--you'll be undersood, but it sounds like a made-up word. <<

Nope, it's not "made up"; this is a real term that I have heard on plenty of occasions myself. Just because you yourself have not heard a particular term does not make it necessarily "made up", you must remember.
furrykef   Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
Well, there's a distinction that can be drawn between "made up" and "not a word". An independent invention of a word is "made up", but it's still a word. Also, the word "nine-to-fiver" follows well-known and well-understood morphological rules, and its meaning is immediately apparent, so it's much easier to accept it as a word than it would be to accept a word such as, say, "sqoobl".

- Kef
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 pm GMT
<<For one thing, there are millions of non-native speakers with sites in English.>>

What makes you think that many nonnnative speakers are not experts in the language?
furrykef   Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:09 am GMT
Statistics. It's widely known that, while many foreign speakers do have great facility with the language, many have very little, and most are somewhere in between. After all, learning a language to fluency is a long road from point A to point B, and native speakers already start at point B.

- Kef
Bob   Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:33 am GMT
They are usually called employees. They are taxpayers, and they are often ambitious and looking to better themselves. People who work typically and strictly 40 hours per week are not true professionals in one sense - they are merely clock watchers. True professionals will work 50, 60, 100 or more hurs per week to accomplish their goals and move their businesses forward - clock watchers merely want to be paid their hourly or weekly or monthly salary.
Bius   Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:31 am GMT
Enlightening! I didn't expect my post to have triggered such englightening discussion. I appreciate you all who have contributed to the post. I think "nine-to-fiver" is word I will use.
Pos   Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:30 am GMT
<clock watchers merely want to be paid their hourly or weekly or monthly salary.>

Isn't hourly or weekly pay called "a wage" and not "a salary"?
M56   Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:32 am GMT
<I think "nine-to-fiver" is word I will use. >

Well done!
furrykef   Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
<< Isn't hourly or weekly pay called "a wage" and not "a salary"? >>

Paying by the hour is a wage; paying a fixed amount for a period of time, regardless of hours spent at work, is a salary. For instance, a wage earner might get paid $10 an hour, and a salaried employee might get paid $1000 a week. They both might receive their payments weekly, but their pay is determined by different means.

- Kef