French is not an international language!!!!!!

A-S   Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:04 am GMT
<<there are not Portuguese and Spaniards immigrants in France since about 30 years... >>

Yes, but there are many french who have Portuguese (1940-1980), Spanish (1937-1975) and Italian (1918-1950) ancestors.
There are more than 1,5 million lusophones in France!
greg   Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
A-S : étrange juxtaposition d'un vers d'Ovide et d'un mot de Virgile.

Ovide : « Ignoti nulla cupido », Ars amatoria
→ L'indifférence naît de l'ignorance.

Virgile : « Fama uolat paruam subito uulgata per urbem ocius ire equites Tyrrheni ad limina regis », L'Énéide
→ La rumeur s'est soudain répandue à travers la ville : des cavaliers se dirigent en hâte vers le seuil du roi Tyrrhénien.
Guest   Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
here's one more guest Korca is known as the Paris of Albania loool or "Parizi i vogel" small Paris :))

AH! So it must not be a nice place...
A-S   Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
<<A-S : étrange juxtaposition d'un vers d'Ovide et d'un mot de Virgile.

Ovide : « Ignoti nulla cupido », Ars amatoria
→ L'indifférence naît de l'ignorance. >>

Plus précisément, en Français juste et non littéral "On ne désire pas ce qu'on ne connaît pas."
(Aphorisme d'Ovide (l'Art d'aimer, III 397) Ce qui signifie que l'indiférence naît de causes diverses le plus souvent de l'ignorance.

<<Virgile : « Fama uolat paruam subito uulgata per urbem ocius ire equites Tyrrheni ad limina regis », L'Énéide
→ La rumeur s'est soudain répandue à travers la ville : des cavaliers se dirigent en hâte vers le seuil du roi Tyrrhénien.>>

Exact, expression de Virgile (Eneide), cette expression sert à dire la rapidité avec laquelle une nouvelle se répand.

Par ailleurs Greg tu as raison, c'est vrai que c'est un peu maladroit de mélanger 2 locutions...
John   Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
You are wrong again.

1. I don´t hate French. I only read a French brochure (written by French Government) where I read that French is almost no spoken. That is not my opinion. That is a fact.

For instance, French is spoken by 0,7% of population in Burundi, 4% in Congo, 5% in Madagascar, 7% in Djibouti, 7% in Comores, 7% in Rwanda, 8% in Haiti, etc (all these figures are official).

So, French is spoken by 1-10% of population in almost all French countries, but France and Monaco, where is spoken by all people.

2. Everybody can download this brochure: la langue française dans le monde. References 2006. Sam, Eddie or Adam can read this brochure too.

3. I don´t care French, Spanish, German or Tibetan language, but when I read an interesting report I like to explain it here.

French is spoken by 128 million people (that´s official) in 29 countries. The average is very poor: 4,4 million/ country (if you don´t include France, the average is extremely poor).

In conclusion, French is spoken in every French African country by Diplmatics, civil cervants, and some teachers, but no more people.
Alba   Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:59 pm GMT
here's one more guest Korca is known as the Paris of Albania loool or "Parizi i vogel" small Paris :))

AH! So it must not be a nice place...

LOL it is a nice place...thats where im from...
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 am GMT
Castellano is no longer spoken in Hispanic America. These bastardized forms of Spanish are evolving into separate languages that will someday be called Neo-Spanish.

In addition Castellano has to compete with regional languages such as Catalan, Galician, Basque and dialects such as Aragonese, Asturian, and Leonese in Spain are being elevated into official status in Spain.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:09 am GMT
Spanish is not indeed an international language.

Click these links to find out why: http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm and http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/worldlang.htm.

According to this sites Spanish(20) is behind English(37) and French(23) after weighing the 6 factors:
1. Number of primary speakers
2. Number of secondary speakers
3. Number and population of countries where used
4. Number of major fields using the language internationally
5. Economic power of countries of the languages
6. Socio-literary prestige

Spanish like Chinese got its strength in Factor Number 1. It relied only on the large number of speakers and countries where it is natively spoken.

But when it comes to secondary speakers, it has only 20 million speakers as opposed to French with 190,000,000 and English with 150,000,000.

In the outer core, Spanish is zero while English and French have 24 and 18 respectively.

In the fringe countries, English has 82, French 12, Russian 11, and Spanish just 1 (USA?).

This study is based on the articles of Dr. Bernard Comrie, George Weber and Ethnologue.

I challenge those Hispanic Flies like Sam alias Elbarto alias John to present their arguments or reactions on this. Come on let the viewers of this Antimoon read them to know how you reason well.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:19 am GMT
I read this report. Well, it is only a report where French is second and Spanish third. This report is biased. For instance, Brazil, where Spanish is studied is not taking in account as fringe or as outer core. The same with Belize, Trinidad & Tobago, Aruba, or Andorra.

Secondary speakers is very biased. For instance, according to official figures (Francophonie) French is spoken by 128 million people. There are other 72 million people that speak partially French. There are also 89 million of students around the world. Mr. Weber take in account people that speak bad French and students all together. He is more Francophile than the same Francophonie.

Spanish according to several reports, it is spoken by 100 million people as second language. I think the same with Chinese. If you take in account all people that speak Chinese as second language in the same China it is more than 100 million people.

Anaway, I give you another one. "The future of English" by David Graddol

"The changing status of languages will create a new status hierarchy for the world. There are more languages in the top layer: Chinese, Hindi, English, Spanish and Arabic".

"French and other OECD languages (German, Japanese) are likely to decline in status."

That´s the near future (2050) according to several reports. According to this report (and others) French will lose the present status. Only English and Spanish will remain as the most important Western languages. Arabic, Chinese and Hindi will be also very important.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 am GMT
I read this report. Well, it is only a report where French is second and Spanish third. This report is biased. For instance, Brazil, where Spanish is studied is not taking in account as fringe or as outer core. The same with Belize, Trinidad & Tobago, Aruba, or Andorra.

Secondary speakers is very biased. For instance, according to official figures (Francophonie) French is spoken by 128 million people. There are other 72 million people that speak partially French. There are also 89 million of students around the world. Mr. Weber take in account people that speak bad French and students all together. He is more Francophile than the same Francophonie.

Spanish according to several reports, it is spoken by 100 million people as second language. I think the same with Chinese. If you take in account all people that speak Chinese as second language in the same China it is more than 100 million people.

Anaway, I give you another one. "The future of English" by David Graddol

"The changing status of languages will create a new status hierarchy for the world. There are more languages in the top layer: Chinese, Hindi, English, Spanish and Arabic".

"French and other OECD languages (German, Japanese) are likely to decline in status."

That´s the near future (2050) according to several reports. According to this report (and others) French will lose the present status. Only English and Spanish will remain as the most important Western languages. Arabic, Chinese and Hindi will be also very important.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:00 am GMT
Spanish is mainly spoken in the poor, third world countries of Central and South America. The largest country in S. America is Brazil, where they speak Portuguese. The second largest country is Argentina, where the Spanish that is spoken there is evolving into a Spanish-Italian hybrid. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spanish diminish in number of speakers in this century.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:54 am GMT

Imagine these language will ascend to a very high status according to Sam interpreting David Graddol's study in his own and wrong way.

French and English will still remain as the true global languages according to the table of Dr. Bernard Comrie and Mr. Geroge Weber not according to David Graddol's study which relied only on numbers.

<< Spanish according to several reports, it is spoken by 100 million people as second language. I think the same with Chinese. If you take in account all people that speak Chinese as second language in the same China it is more than 100 million people. >>

According to some report? Give us a proof! What link?hat book? The trouble with you Sam alias Elbarto alias John alias SMITH who posted that Spanish is niumber 1 in Antarctica is you don't only invent data without any basis at all but you also twist the interpretation of data based on facts like the IMF, WB, and CIA report of country listing according to GNP. Just imagine you keep on telling the viewers that Spain's GNP is higher than France and therefore it is richer than France. Enough because nobody will believe your lies again.

SPANISH WILL NEVER BECOME REPLACE FRENCH IN THE NEAR FUTURE BECAUSE IT'S ZERO CONTRIBUTION IN SCIENCE, NOT VERY INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE, SPOKEN ONLY AND SPAIN AND LATIN AMERICA AND JUST 20 MILLION SECONDARY SPEAKERS. NOW THE SECONDARY AND FOREIGN SPEAKERS OF A LANGUAGE ARE THE MAIN FACTOR THAT MADE ENGLISH AND FRENCH AS GLOBAL LANGUAGES.

Same thing with Chinese, Hindi, and Arabic. Since when did Chinese and Hindi spoken widely as secondary language? You just rely on quantity of native speakers not on quantity of secondary and foreign speakers and quality. PHOOEY!
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am GMT

"The future of English" by David Graddol
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:05 am GMT
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:08 am GMT
Let me finally end the discussion with information from authoritive source.

- Spanish has 892 million native speakers (Franco, 2007)
- Spanish has 2133 million second language speakers (Franco, 2007)
- French is going to die out in 2018 (Franco, 2007)
- Russia will become domination language by 2010, After Putin Brings Glory to The Mother Land (Franco, 2007)
- English will vanish overnight on 15 June 2012, by strange phenomenon (Franco, 2007)

finally, some closure.