All languages are declining except for English...

Floraites   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:52 am GMT
Yes, I think so and so do most of the world. Such countries as Algeria, Belgium and other African countries are getting rid of French. Russian is deplaced in Kazakhstan, Uzbekstan, Turkmenstan, Georgia, Azerbaidjan, Ukraine, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia after the collapse of Soviet Union. French is depopularized even in Turkey although it used to be so much of importance in Ottomans. German is not even said to continue to be learnt as a foreign language except in EU. There are just a few languages rising in the world such as English, Turkish, Chinese, Spanish. After the collapse of the Soviets, Turkish dialects have again gained importance in Kazakhstan, Uzbekstan, Turkmenstan, Azerbaidjan... China is getting bigger and bigger in terms of population and its cheap markets and products. Spanish has not yet lost its formality as a language in South-Central and rising in North America. It is even no doubt about English all around the world. In Turkey in the streets it is uncovered that every one word of six is not Turkish but English. Yes, what do you think about the rising and declining languages?
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:12 am GMT
Well. I think so. You are right.

English, Turkish, Chinese, and Spanish are rising. Perhaps Arabic and Hindi too. I think there is a new hierarchy in the World languages.

French is the looser in all this new situation. German and Russian too.
Pauline   Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:20 pm GMT
>> Such countries as Algeria, Belgium and other African countries are getting rid of French. <<

Belgium doesn't getting rid of french; it is one of the three official languages of the country.
Kumming op   Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
You know, man, Belgium once forbade French in official writings but it turned back again, but the government is against the use of French in everyday life you know...
Pauline   Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:53 pm GMT
>> You know, man, Belgium once forbade French in official writings but it turned back again, but the government is against the use of French in everyday life you know...<<

This is absolutly not the case at all.

The government against french is the flemish one, what use flemish (dutch). In Belgium there are 5 parliaments. In the walloon one, french is used and flemish isn't. It's a regional division.

French hasn't never been forbade in Belgium; in the begin of the country, flemish was banned, but this unjust situation is since longtime not more the case. French, dutch and german are the official languages of their regions.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:16 pm GMT
<< English, Turkish, Chinese, and Spanish are rising. Perhaps Arabic and Hindi too. I think there is a new hierarchy in the World languages.

Belgium doesn't getting rid of french; it is one of the three official languages of the country. >>

Spanish is the loser in all aspects because it's disitegrating into numerous languages including in Spain. Soon Catalan, Basque, Galician, Asturian, Aragonese, Leonese, etc. will wipe out Castellano once and for all.

As with Hispanique America, the Spanish there is fast evolving into something like Papiamento, Chamorro, and Chavacano.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:30 pm GMT
<< Spanish has not yet lost its formality as a language in South-Central and rising in North America. >>

Spanish is being overrun by English in Mexico, Central America, and Puerto Rico.

In Mexico alone you can see sign that are in English if the place is not frequented by tourists from the US. Example "Taco's de Juan" you could find "John's Tacos" instead. The apostrophe s is not present in Spanish so I was surprised and so happy that it's fast becoming common in Mexico, Central America and in Puerto Rico. A sure sign that Spanish is dying there.

On the other hand you cannot see that kind of sign in French Canada.
Floraites   Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
Your mother is chavacana, your father is chamorro, and you have a little papiamento.

Chinese, Hindi, Arabic, Spanish, Turkish and English are the languages of the XXI century. The future is coming. You will see soon.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:02 pm GMT
<< English, Turkish, Chinese, and Spanish are rising. Perhaps Arabic and Hindi too. I think there is a new hierarchy in the World languages >>

Sure, Spanish will be in this new language heirarchy but at the bottom since Yoruba, Bambara, Hottentot, Swahili, and Hiri Motu will become more important than it.
furrykef   Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
I like the idea of a single international language. I would prefer that it be a constructed language such as Esperanto -- though not really Esperanto in particular, since it has much room for improvement -- but since English seems to be working out well despite its shortcomings, I suppose there isn't really a problem.

I don't see how it could be a problem that languages such as French and German are declining in international usage. The languages are in no danger of dying out in their native lands, so all this means is that fewer languages are being used internationally, and I think that's a good thing. Having fewer international languages in competition makes it easier for people around the world to communicate, and the purpose of language is communication, right?

- Kef
elbarto   Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:41 pm GMT
It'd have to be perfect language in all aspects and English certainly is NOT.

Despites of the hate that a lot of people have towards Spanish, they gotta recognize that is it the easiest in all aspects, and also the one with the best grammar of all.
greg   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:00 pm GMT
furrykef : « (...) since English seems to be working out well despite its shortcomings, I suppose there isn't really a problem. »

L'anglais, et en particulier les sous-variétés phonologiques nord-américaines, est certainement le parler le moins apte à revendiquer une quelconque prétention au statut de langue internationale, à l'oral. C'est se bercer d'illusions que de croire le contraire.

Le problème se pose moins à l'écrit dans la mesure où une grande partie de son vocabulaire est franco-gréco-latine.

Par conséquent, l'anglais est un très bon vecteur introductif pour une véritable langue internationale telle qu'interlingua.

Nous sommes bien d'accord : il n'est question que de langue internationale, pas de langue "universelle".
Adam   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:04 pm GMT
I'll repost it correctly:

Actually, the submarine was invented by a British man (therefore an English-speaker), William Bourne, who designed a prototype submarine in 1578. Unfortunately for him these ideas never got beyond the planning stage.

However, the first submersible proper to be actually built was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the service of James I of England: it was based on Bourne's design.

The first military submarine was the Turtle, a hand-powered egg-shaped device designed by another English-speaker, American David Bushnell, to accommodate a single man. During the American War of Independence it was used against the British.

Operated by Sgt. Ezra Lee, (Continental Army) it tried and FAILED to sink a British warship, HMS Eagle (flagship of the blockaders) in New York harbour on September 7, 1776.
greg   Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
Adam : « I'll ▓ it ▓:

▓, the ▓ was ▓ by a British man (therefore an English-speaker), ▓ Bourne, who ▓ a ▓ ▓ in 1578. ▓ for him these ▓ never ▓ beyond the ▓ ▓.

However, the first ▓ ▓ to be ▓ built was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the ▓ of James I of England: it was ▓ on Bourne's ▓.

The first ▓ ▓ was the ▓, a hand-▓ egg-shaped ▓ ▓ by another English-speaker, ▓ David Bushnell, to ▓ a ▓ man. ▓ the ▓ ▓ of ▓ it was ▓ against the British.

▓ by ▓. Ezra Lee, (▓ ▓) it ▓ and ▓ to sink a British ▓, H▓S ▓ (flagship of the ▓) in New York harbour on ▓ 7, 1776. »

Tu peux essayer à nouveau stp ?
Vytenis   Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:28 am GMT
In terms of population:

No 1 is English
No 2 is Mandarin Chinese
No 3 is Spanish
No 4 is French
No 5 is Russian
No 6 is Arabic

Then there are German, Portugese, Japanese, Turkish, Italian etc etc.

They will definitely NOT lose their significance any time soon. However, English will prevail as international communication medium, I do not imagine anyone learning Chinese or Hindi as an international language just because there are lots of folks in India or China :D LOL