What happened to the Aussie language?

AUSSIEEEEE   Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:52 pm GMT
Hallo everyone, I wonder the reason why learners of English all around the world don't even bother to learn about Australian English. We have many absurd phrasal verbs etc. For example I am sure that no Ameican or British person heard such things before: to show oneself's tongue ( meaning: say bad things about sb ), to throw sb's shoe onto the roof (meaning: not even bother about sb after a newly come person). Or I learnt that non-Aussies don't use such expresiions: watch in (meaning: pay extremely big attention to sth). Hay Aussies, don't you have any other expressions in our Ausland?..
Guy   Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
Do non-Aussies use the expression 'to pay sb out', which means 'to tease sb'?
Laura Braun   Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:10 pm GMT
I would like to learn much more about such phrasal verbs so keep this thread on the top I will take some notice in my book.
Guest   Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
The only thing I know about Aussie English as a non-native speaker:

1. mate
2. "I don't give a whip" instead of "I don't give a shit."
3. Go Aussies. (when cheering a national team)

In addition, I am surprized to see Aussie teenagers using American slang expressions in their posts on various internet forums. ;)

I have also seen a couple of British speakers whinning about Australia being another American land because they had witnessed terms like restroom ...etc during their trips to Ausland.

I am witnessing more and more American terms for basic things in my own country which was not the case in the past. British spellings and terms were the norm.
AUSSIEEEEE   Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
No I haven't heard "pay sb out", but I know "pay for sb's crying" meaning doing sth to make sb feel bad. And I also know verbs like "crase ( scream US+UK )", "shuttle ( compete to be the best - no such expression in US or UK or even dictionaries )", "show on around ( show up UK+US)....
Guy   Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:51 am GMT
I've heard 'to pay sb out' in SA (Adelaide) :)

'to shout' (=to treat) is one, too, ay?
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:17 am GMT
Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi
furrykef   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
I just know that "Foster's" is Australian for "beer". At least, that's what the commercial says, but if you inspect the label, it says "Made in Canada". Hmm.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:12 pm GMT
WHO care about Australia??
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:23 pm GMT
Lots of people care about Australia including the Australians, of course.
Laura Braun   Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:06 pm GMT
who care about your opinion guest, go and stick your opinion somewhere else, I want to learn much more Australian slang.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
AUSSIEEEEE

I like "sheila" for a chick.
Pub Lunch   Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:00 am GMT
I prefer 'bird' to 'sheila' for a chick!!
Rick Johnson   Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:24 am GMT
Who is sb?
Pierre Wong   Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:47 am GMT
>>I just know that "Foster's" is Australian for "beer". At least, that's what the commercial says, but if you inspect the label, it says "Made in Canada". Hmm.

- Kef <<

I just know that Yoplait is French for "yoghurt". At least, that's what the commercial says, but if you inspect the label, it says "Made in Taiwan". Hmm!