sentences

Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:43 am GMT
1.If we did something which was effective, we will write about it.

2.If we used a product in our learning process that helped us a lot, we will write about it.

Is there anything wrong with these sentences grammatically?
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 am GMT
All grammatical and good examples of mixed conditional forms.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 am GMT
I am kinda confused. I think we should use "would" instead of "will" because the first construction is in the second conditional form(using second form of the verb).

e.g:
If I learned to write properly, I'd be considered a good writer of the language.
If I used the Antimoon method, I'd be a proficient user of the language in no time.
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 am GMT
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:17 am GMT
<1.If we did something which was effective, we will write about it.

2.If we used a product in our learning process that helped us a lot, we will write about it.>

In both those the facts mentioned in the "if-clause" are not established at the time of speaking.

Example.

Donald: You know you didn't pay the gas bill?
Marge: Are you sure? I thought I had. Well, I'll check, and if I didn't pay it, I will do so tomorrow.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:18 am GMT
Wow, Learning English language is a real pain in the neck if I go by mastering the rules. No offence meant, M56!

mixed conditionals:

If she had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would be joining us tomorrow.

Why not say something like this:

"If she had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would have joined us tomorrow."

If Mark had gotten the job instead of Joe, he would be moving to Shanghai.

"If Mark had gotten the job instead of Joe, he would have moved to Shanghai."

Why confuse simple third conditional sentence with a so called mixed conditional.

"If I were rich, I would have bought that Ferrari we saw yesterday."

Why not say sth like this:

"If I were rich, I would buy that Ferrari we saw yesterday."

etc.....
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 am GMT
<In both those the facts mentioned in the "if-clause" are not established at the time of speaking. >

That's what I am talking about. We should use "would" instead of "will" because the facts are not established at the time of speaking. Use "will" when you have established your facts in the "if-clause".

1. If we do something which is effective, we will write about it.
2. If we use a product in our learning process that help us a lot, we will write about it.

What do you think?
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 am GMT
Donald: You know you didn't pay the gas bill?
Marge: Are you sure? I thought I had. Well, I'll check, and if I DIDN'T pay it, I WOULD do so tomorrow.

=========
First, I need to make sure whether I have paid or not (I am not 100% sure at the time of speaking), so how can I use "will" construction?
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:23 am GMT
<Wow, Learning English language is a real pain in the neck if I go by mastering the rules. No offence meant, M56! >

No offense taken. I didn't invent the language. ;-)

How many types of conditional are there in your language?
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:31 am GMT
<If she had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would be joining us tomorrow.

Why not say something like this:

"If she had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would have joined us tomorrow." >

Why not have the choice to use either?

Don't forget, the language came before the grammar.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 am GMT
To me those sentences in the first post don't sound very good. They seem kind of weird and unnatural.
Pos   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am GMT
<They seem kind of weird and unnatural. >

Are you a native speaker?
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am GMT
<<They seem kind of weird and unnatural. > >

How does this sound to you?

If we did something wrong, we will accept the blame.
M56   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:12 am GMT
<First, I need to make sure whether I have paid or not (I am not 100% sure at the time of speaking), so how can I use "will" construction? >

If what you say IS true, I will...
If it IS true that I didn't do that, I will then do this...
If it WERE true that I didn't do that, I would do this...
If it becomes true that I didn't do that, I would do this...

And on...
Pos   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:17 am GMT
Guest, what difference in meaning, if any, do you see between, "If I haven't paid" and "If I didn't pay"? And, what would you follow each with? "Would" or "will"?