Arrogance and Learning English!!!

Damian in Scotland   Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:21 am GMT
Uriel: To ease the pain on receipt we'll make sure they're ever so BEAUTIFULLY gift wrapped! :-) Hee hee! Am I not mega wicked...or just wicked?

Anyway, give her her due...GP's English accent really is perfect..as far as I can tell, anyway. But I'm just a Scot so what do I know about anything!
Travis   Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:21 pm GMT
>>>>They(students) are full of themselves. They don't like to talk with someone who doesn't have good English skills. Speakers like me are looked down upon.<<

Because they want to keep their English posh? Or because of their personalitys? One thing I am sure is that some lerners prefer to talk with only native speakers to improve their target language, avoiding non-native speakers.<<

Well, I do have to say that English-learners who insist on, for some reason, speaking just pure conservative RP, and who seem to look down on other sorts of English, to be quite irritating, to say the least. Even moreso, when some of such English-learners insist, for some reason, that English English (and of course in particular RP) is "correct" English and other forms (NAE, that is, even if such itself is not directly said) are "not correct".
CHINESE   Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:35 am GMT
Dutch..?
Is that a german dialect?
Jessica   Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
I speak better English than kids my age. I'm a middle school student. So in my English class, I don't listen to my English teacher but do other things like reading an English book. Because the lessons are two easy for me. And my English teacher's pronounciation is even worse than me. I know that doesn't show respect to my teacher not listening in her class. But I think it wastes a lot of time learning things I already know. I also don't like to speak English with other students in my class because you can hardly communicate with them. I only speak English with native speakers because we can undertand eath other and can have a nice conversation. I guess that's the reason why.

Jessica~
Travis   Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:25 pm GMT
>>Dutch..?
Is that a german dialect?<<

Umm, no, Dutch is a Low German language, as opposed to what is normally referred to as "German", which is a continuum of High German dialects which is not necessarily crossintelligible across its whole but which shares standard Hochdeutsch as its single formal/literary form.
Adam   Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:49 pm GMT
Hi I'm Adam I don't think to much I prefer to look at the world through in between my legs.
The world has a completely different look when I let one off but I love it.