visa [s] or [z]?

Agila   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:40 am GMT
Hi,
I would like to know if the S in VISA is pronounced voiceless (as [s]) or
voiced (as [z]).

thanks
Guest   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:45 am GMT
I only use the voiceless pronunciation. However, I believe that both variations are used in the United States.
Guest   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:59 am GMT
I used the voiced pronunciation because I find it easier to say and it's the official way that the Visa company uses/
Statian   Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:10 pm GMT
I always say 'z'
Lazar   Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
I always pronounce it with [z].

<<I used the voiced pronunciation because I find it easier to say and it's the official way that the Visa company uses.>>

I think you're mistaken - in all the ads for Visa that I've seen, they've pronounced it with [s]. In fact, this has always struck me as odd, because most people that I know in real life pronounce it with [z].
Travis   Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
I myself always pronounce it with a [z], and [s] sounds off to me (even though it is what is officially used by Visa itself).
Jordan   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
I guess VISA and GREASY with [s] in Western/Northern thing while
the pronunciation with [z] is Southern/BackEast..
Travis   Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:16 pm GMT
At least around here, "greasy" is always pronounced with [s].
furrykef   Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:21 pm GMT
"Visa" can be either way for me, but I rarely hear "greasy" pronounced with a "z". It kind of grates on my ears when I do hear it that way, but I wouldn't say it's wrong... it just sounds weird.
K. T.   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
The pronouncing dictionary howjsay.com (I think) says "visa" with a "z" and greasy with an "s", but I've heard both words being pronounced the "other way" as well.

The site I mention seems to use British (RP, I guess) English, but does give a nod to American pronunciation. "Laboratory" doesn't even come come to the American pronunciation imo even though it's listed as "AMERICAN"...LOL!
Lazar   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 pm GMT
I pronounce "greasy" with [s], and I don't think I've ever heard the pronunciation with [z].
K. T.   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:16 pm GMT
I've heard "greaZy" when someone wants to emphasize someone's slimy character.
Travis   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
I hear "greasy" pronounced with [z] on rare occasions, but it is by no means native to this area at all.
Jim   Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:52 pm GMT
Always /gi:zi/ and /vi:z@/ (for both "visa" & "Visa") where I'm from (including for me, of course).
I ate spam   Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
I use both, I would be awkward I pronounce it Viz (short Z) Sa (emphasis here)