How do you pronounce BURY?

Jonathan   Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:11 am GMT
Garage = guh-rahzh

Aunt = ahnt (Note: most people in my area say "ant," but for some reason it
sounds weird to me)

Roof rhymes with poof (long 'u' sound)

Leisure = lee-zhur

Vase rhymes with face

I pronounce the 'l' in "calm" (but not in "walk"), and would be interested to see how many people leave it silent.
Lazar   Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:09 am GMT
I don't pronounce the <l> in "calm", or in "alms", "balm", "palm", or "psalm".
Lazar   Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:28 am GMT
Or in "qualm". ;-)
Josh Lalonde   Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:31 am GMT
No /l/ for me in any of those words.
Jonathan   Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:58 am GMT
Interesting. I say the 'l' in all of those words. Is it a Californian thing, I wonder?
K. T.   Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:32 am GMT
Thank-you, Lazar, for your opinion on X-Sampa.
KTM   Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:29 pm GMT
Bury = Berry
heyst   Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:56 pm GMT
In Polish 'bury' means brownish gray and it's quite popular surname.
So if the name is of Slavic origin, 'u' should be pronounced as 'u' in 'put' (or slightly longer).
heyst   Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
Actually I thought you ment a surname :>
Generally in English there is no such thing as correct pronunciation, variants are commonplace :P
windy city   Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 pm GMT
Jonathon,

I also used to pronounce the "l" in all those words, but ended up mostly dropping them due to the insistence of some teachers who insisted that they were "spelling pronunciations."

And for me bury = berry.

Chicago
K. T.   Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Some dictionaries give the "l" in "calm" and other words. The on-line Webster's Dictionary gives about four possible pronunciations for "calm"...
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
calm with the ''l'' pronounced would have L-colored [A] in my accent:

[kAlm] ----> [kQlm]

therefore, I prefer the L-less pronunciation which does not affect the vowel: [kAm]
Travis   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
I myself normally have such "-alm" words with /l/ (resulting in "calm" being pronounced like [k_hQ:U~m]). However, this is likely a spelling pronunciation, as the pronunciation used here seems to traditionally be /l/-less at least in the case of "calm" (resulting in [k_ha~:m], or in older speakers, [k_hA~:m]). Of course, like some other traditional features here, such is not necessarily consistently found amongst younger people these days (who may have /l/-ful pronunciations of words like "calm").
Travis   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 pm GMT
(One little note: when I say /l/-ful, I am strictly referring to the phonemic presence of historical /l/; due to /l/-vocalization, though, such will almost invariably become an offglide in coda positions except in very careful or emphatic speech, resulting in pronounciations like [QU] normally occurring.)