French or Italian, which language should I learn first?

Primo de Rivera   Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
Well, first of all I want to underline that I don't want to study they both simultaneously. I'm a native spanish speaker and apparently It is possible but I could mix they both in my mind too much. I want to concentrate on one of them and master it. Here are my taughts on the matter:

On paper French is spoken worldwide in many countries while Italian not. French is an official language in many international organizations ( I will never work at one of these, but It is a pro I suppose). France is the second european economy and to speak it is more appreciated by companies than Italian.

Italian: I really like italian operas, Italian culture and well I can't explain it but this language exercises a kind of aesthetical attraction on me while French doesn't.

To learn Italian is what really would please me but I think that If I learn French I will make the most of my time. Let me repeat that to learn they both is a discarded option since I also must study English. No matter I speak Spanish and they both are romance languages, this goal is not that easy.

Now It's your turn.
American Francophile   Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:03 pm GMT
Follow your heart. If you speak English and Spanish, you probably don't need to learn French. So choose Italian if that's the language from which you think you'll receive the most enjoyment. Additionally, I think Italian is much more similar to Spanish than French, so you should have a slightly easier time with Italian.

However if you do choose French, it would not be a bad choice, as French opens up a lot of the same doors, culturally, that Italian does (such as in the arts).
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
I think Italian is much more similar to Spanish than French

The usual litany... NO, IT ISN'T
Primo de Rivera   Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:49 pm GMT
I thought also on learning German. But I think it is sooo dificult. Sorry German, I'll see you in my next reincarnation.
American Francophile   Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:58 pm GMT
<<I think Italian is much more similar to Spanish than French>>

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

French and Spanish have a 75% lexical similarity.
Italian and Spanish have an 82% lexical similarity.

So yes, if he chooses to learn Italian, he'll have a slightly easier time in doing so.

I think you were thinking of the 89% lexical similarity between French and Italian, which is certainly fascinating, but not really applicable to this discussion.

http://www.orbilat.com/General_Survey/Romance_Languages.html
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
French and Spanish have a 75% lexical similarity.
Italian and Spanish have an 82% lexical similarity.

75%??? I would have bet 76,1%!!!!
Percentages are truly idiot and I can't stand people who think in this way
Primo de Rivera   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
Lexical similarity is not that important. Italian and Spanish also share a high degree of phonetic similarity
American Francophile   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
Okay, just trying to help. Studies have been done to come up with these numbers, so take them for whatever they're worth to you.
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
If they are so similar is there someone here who is able to explain why they sounf so different? Phonetically Italian is close to Spanish as it is with French
Primo de Rivera   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
French and Spanish belong to the same romance sub-branch: gallo-iberian romance. So technically speaking they are closer to each other according to scholars. But from my experience I think that Italian and Spanish are closer from the phonetic point of view, not to mention Argentinian Spanish and Italian. Of course there are phonetic differences between them, but they are lesser than when you compare French and Italian.
greg   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
Ça n'a aucune importance. Si tu connais l'italien, tu comprendras vite le français, avec un peu d'effort. Et vice-versa.
Primo de Rivera   Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
I don't think so really, perhaps it will help me with writen French, but spoken French is obstruse as hell. Italian and Spanish are crystal clear.
American Francophile   Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:07 pm GMT
The difference, I believe, lies in the way the languages pronounced, and that makes it hard for Italian speakers to understand spoken French, and vice versa. However when it comes to being able to understand the written language, French and Italian nearly mutually intelligible.
Guest   Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:39 am GMT
Well, if the French would stop talking through their noses, maybe other Romance Language speakers would understand them better.
American Francophile   Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:13 am GMT
Thanks for that valuable input.