The role of Russian language

Babel   Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:01 pm GMT
I see a resurgence of Russian language in the former USSR (Community of Independent States).

It is an useful language not only in Eastern Europe, but in Central Asia, Mongolia, and Israel. It is surprising the number of countries where Russian is spoken.

It is due to the new status of Russian Federation. A first Russian deputy prime minister, Sergei Ivanov, set the goal of making the country one of the five largest economies in terms of GDP by 2020.

This new energy superpower will be one of the most powerful countries in the near future. And Russian will be also one of the most important languages in energy sector.
K. T.   Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
I think Russian is a useful language. We can't discuss politics in detail here, though.

I read that you are a polyglot. I left a little question for you about Russian in the topic "How Many Languages Do You Speak Well Enough..."

Since you know Russian already, how much can you understand of languages like Polish, Czech, or Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian?

I was speaking with a Russian last week and he told me that the word in Bosnian for "city" is "grad" (that's what it sounded like to me.), I said, "Oh, like 'gorod' in Russian." He told me "No" He saw no connection between the words.

Any thoughts?

I help out with ESL classes, so that's why I ask all these tedious questions.

Thanks.
Babel   Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
Yes, Grad is the same as gorad in Russian (city in English). For instance, Stalingrad is "City of Stalin", and Leningrad "City of Lenin". It is the same in all Slavic languages.

If you speak Russian you can understand people from former Yugoslavia (Serbian, Croatian and Eslovene) and people from Bulgaria very well. I was also in Prague and I understood several sentences in Czech. In my opinion, Polish is more difficult to understand.

So, you can see that Russian is very useful in Eastern Europe.
Franco   Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
Несомненно, русский язык станет самым важным языком в мире.

Это просто неотвратимо. Путин станет новым лидером мирового сообщества.

Я жду этого дня с нетерпением.
Alba   Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:57 am GMT
Serbian and Croatian is the same language lol.

privjet, kak della?? :D
Linguist   Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:56 am GMT
Это просто неотвратимо

Use "необратимо", your word sounds wierd for my Russian ears.
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:58 am GMT
Franco, why do you post this crap?
Franco   Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:39 am GMT
One mans crap is another mans food.