'that's so gay'

Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:17 am GMT
Brokeback Mountain was shown in the U.S. It's just not a very good movie... One guy in the United States was killed that I can think of...

Gays aren't persecuted... Who told you all this? The average gay person in the United States makes like, 20% more money than the average straight person.
Karen   Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:26 am GMT
Brokeback Mountain was not forbidden in the US. It was even in the movie theaters in South Carolina. The rest I won't even bother with because it is stereotyping.

I can't say as an American that I disagree with Americans being homophobic. I mean if being gay was not such an issue in the US then same sex couples would be getting married in all states and the district. Its similar to laws from back in the day that forbid blacks and whites to marry and so on.

That's so gay means the same as that's so lame. It sounds like valley slang. I am meaning California slang. Like back when everyone was saying gag me. That is so weak. So the term "that's so gay" suggests that someone who is gay is lame or weak. Or someone who is acting lame or weak is acting gay.
Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:14 am GMT
I think being opposed to gay marriage is different than homophobia... Homophobes to me are the kind of people who would beat someone up for being gay, while the majority of those who don't support gay marriage just don't support the 'marriage' part...

If it were up to me there'd be no marriage benefits granted by the government and 'marriage' would be strictly religious.
Pos   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:45 am GMT
<If it were up to me there'd be no marriage benefits granted by the government and 'marriage' would be strictly religious. >

And would unmarried people be prevented from having children?
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:56 am GMT
Why would that be? People who aren't married can have children right now.
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:48 am GMT
<the US is not homophobic>

> Sodomy is banned in some states.

> Fundamentalists can freely display subhuman messages such as "Fags die, God laughs" or "AIDS cures fags" at gay people's funeral.

<One guy in the United States was killed that I can think of>

> Matthew Shepard, I take it? There are many more: James Zappalorti, Brandon Teena, Danny Overstreet, Paul Broussard, Charlie Howard, ...

> How many homosexuals are beaten or morally harassed each year? Don't know? Read some figures: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/04tbl2-32a.xls

Acceptance of gay people is growing in the US, but homophobia is far from being a matter of the past.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:32 am GMT
Ooops.....the post under "I hate spam" - Tue 26 Jun 4:26pm GMT -
was mine!

How can the USA possibly be "homophobic"...well, entirely so anyway? I adore Will and Grace - even though it has overtones of superimposed heterosexuality.....no way ever would two guys be shown in bed together in W & G, and that's for sure - I reckon. :-) As for Brokeback Mountain - it's a fact that women actually made up about 80% plus of the cinema audiences here in Britland when that film was on the circuits over here. The rest were probably gay guys.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:44 am GMT
The UK has Civil Partnerships now - pretty much the same has "normal" marriage anyway from a legal point of view. If the two guys from Brokeback Mountain came to the UK to shack up together all they have to do is toddle down to their local or nearest Register Office of their choice after giving a minimum of 15 (working) days' notice to the appropriate district Registrar, along with two witnesses. After a formal ceremony which can last for an hour or so if they want the full works, or a mere 15 minutes if the want the "quickie" thing, they can then walk out of the building as man and husband or husband and man or man and man or husband and husband or whatever.....each other's new next of kin exactly as in straight marriage to all intents and purposes.

That applies everywhere in the UK - so none of the confusing patchwork set up they have in America where you can do one thing in one State but not in another, or even on a county basis. Incredibly and totally inconceivable to a British mindset there are areas of America where Prohibition still applies - counties where there are no boozers at all and you can't even buy a bottle of vino to go with your jambalaya. Don't they trust their own people? Imagine that in the UK or Europe - there'd be one almighty revolution!!! Cheers! :-)
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:23 am GMT
Brokeback Mountain was shown in the U.S. It's just not a very good movie...

Can you deny US is full of lunatic religious fundamentalists?
And PLEASE don't even talk about stereotyping being an American, please, it sounds at least comical from a person who lives in the land of absolute stereotyping.
Sorry but BM was banned in some US states and not only in Carolina. At Venice Film Festival it won the first prize....
Think about the difference.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:59 pm GMT
BM was shown throughout the UK and in this country there was never even the remotest chance that it would be "banned" in any place anywhere here. The film was not even considered controversial in any way at all, as far as I could make out....we regularly see homosexual action on display in our media here in one way or another so it really isn't a big deal at all by and large. Homophobia exists, of course, but maybe we are more generally tolerant in (perhaps) a more metrosexual Europe than they are in many parts of redneck wild and wooly western America, where the promotion of a mega macho masculine culture is stronger than it is over here. The film dealt with cowboys having it off together in a single sleeping bag, for goodness sake - so no wonder it went down "badly" in those rootin' tootin' shootin' chaps and stetsons ridin' on the range cowboy lands of Middle and Western America, where men are men and the buckin' broncos are sure mighty glad about it!

I'm real happy to be an urban cowboy....
Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:27 pm GMT
(1) Sodomy is not banned in any states. The Supreme Court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that consenting human adults can do just about whatever they want.

(2) Those "subhuman" messages are by fanatics who do not represent America. By the way, as long as they are not inciting masses to violence, speech is protected in the United States. I know that may sound odd...

(3)The US is not full of lunatic religious fundamentalists... Saying that homosexuality is immoral does not make one a lunatic... It's someone expressing an opinion that you or I may disagree with, but it doesn't make them a lunatic...

(4) I didn't know so many homosexuals were victimized... But it makes me wonder how many of those crimes were directed at people who just happened to be gay (in other words, they were attacked because they looked wealthy, not because they were gay). Also, more people have been prosecuted for attacking someone for being white than for being a male or female homosexual.

I know this is a language forum, but I can't handle it when people make ridiculous or unfounded stereotypical accusations about my country... So, sorry to anyone that none of this concerns.
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
The US is not full of lunatic religious fundamentalists...

Yes it is, besides they are very comical.
Have you ever seen a reunion of thoise fanatics?! So funny, Hollywood is nothing compared to them

Saying that homosexuality is immoral does not make one a lunatic... It's someone expressing an opinion that you or I may disagree with, but it doesn't make them a lunatic...

In my opinion yes and they are very dangerous too
Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
It sounds like you have a very broad understanding of the term 'lunatic.' I'm assuming, in your opinion, because I'm a Christian I'm probably one of them... So I'll just drop it.
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
<Those "subhuman" messages are by fanatics who do not represent America. By the way, as long as they are not inciting masses to violence, speech is protected in the United States. I know that may sound odd>

> I know they don't represent America. Bear in mind that unlike the other guest my point is not that America is homophobic, my point is that homopobia is still an important problem in America despite growing acceptance of gay people.

> I don't feel that in the name of free speech, people should be allowed to morally harass people, especially during the funeral of one of their relative.

<I didn't know so many homosexuals were victimized... But it makes me wonder how many of those crimes were directed at people who just happened to be gay>

> The table is very clear: Bias Motivation: Sexual Orientation -> Victims: 1,482. Like I said, America is not homophobic as a country, but homophobia is still an important problem.

<Sodomy is not banned in any states. The Supreme Court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that consenting human adults can do just about whatever they want.>

> That's correct. My informations were outdated. Good!

And I just stumbled upon another good news: 51% of Americans favor one form of gay union or another, 57% think they should have the right to adopt children, and 56% don't believe sexual orientation can be changed.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/poll.gay/
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 pm GMT
Why is it that Americans have to be so different from anyone else?