Why are brits stealing T.S. Eliot from Americans?

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:20 am GMT
I find no proof anywhere that T S Eliot was totally devoid of any free will! To me your assertion sounds quite ludicrous. Would you please point me in the direction of where you obtained your information as above? None of the infomation contained in various reference sources can verify what you have said.

For a man who was "stolen" he apparently fitted in extraordinarily well into the British social and literary scene. Quite a feat if it was all done under duress, even to the point of dissing his American nationality and becoming a subject of the King (as it was back in 1927). Amazing! Was he under some kind of permanent hypnosis or something? Just fancy.....

I reckon you jest, pal. Mind you, if I lived in the American Mid West I'd find any excuse to vamoose (to use US slang) poste haste as well! Even at gunpoiint! :-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:45 am GMT
***BRITAIN IS IRRELEVANT IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!! ***

Do you really have to shout? I know you're an American but please try to keep your voice down ffs - you're giving me a migraine!

Britain is highly relevant to me in the 21st century. Without it I'd have nowhere to live and I'd miss like nothing on earth its gorgeously green and pleasantly equisitely scenic countryside, it's wonderful heritage and fantastic historical connections, it's priceless architectural gems and treasures, my own beautiful home city and all the others in this very relevant country, our varied cultures and distinct regional characteristics -four separate national units all within a small area, our very diverse accents and dialects, our traditions and ceremonials, our tolerance of alternative lifestyles and ready acceptance of other cultures, our Parliamentary democracy, even down to a unique Prime Minister's Question Time, very close proximity to an equally diverse Continent of Europe........and even our frequent rains are relevant.....why do you think our countryside is as lush as it is? When the sun shines it looks like Paradise. Also, we have the best chicken tikka masala in the entire word!

All this is pretty relevent to me! Nobody forces anybody to come to this country - unless, apparently, you're TS Eliot! :-)

We are a crowded island, true enough - so if you think we are irrelevant -simply keep as far away from us as possible....pretty please!!! Keep out!!! We have no room for you anyway - not that we would offer you a space were it available!

Now I must do some highly relevant work...it pays my highly relevant salary.

Cheers!
Jim   Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:11 am GMT
"Would you please point me in the direction of where you obtained your information as above?"

Certainly ... can you see me pointing?

Sources schmources it's all lies ... lies I tell you lies. They huddled the poor bugger up and whipped him off in a hessian sack to London where they began Britishing him all up.

Who're you after next?
Mr Wikipedia   Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am GMT
In 1927, Eliot took two important steps in his self-definition. On June 29 he converted to Anglicanism and in November he dropped his American citizenship and became a British subject. In 1928, Eliot summarised his beliefs when he wrote in the preface to his book, For Lancelot Andrewes that "the general point of view [of the book's essays] may be described as classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and anglo-catholic in religion."

Don't get pissed off, I'm sure the opposite has occurred as well, possibly Pamela Harriman but I'm sure there are others who better fit the bill.

Visit Mr Wikipedia, feed me knowledge, teach me... or die!
Guest   Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm GMT
The reality is that Elliot was enculturated in the US. He didn't leave as a child, but an adult. I'll probably emigrate to Australia in the next few years and maybe even take up citizenship, but I suspect that people on this board wouldn't be calling me Australian and I suspect that the people there will always think of me as American. If he was some yahoo who picked up UK citizenship, I suspect that people in the UK wouldn't be so eager to claim him.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:33 pm GMT
It's not a question of "claiming" him at all! It really is not an issue at all with us here in Britain - absolutely it isn't! The vast majority of Brits didn't/don't give a flying fart about T S Eliot's nationality, then or now, and I'm bloody certain that on that day in 1927 when he replaced Uncle Sam with John Bull on his Tesco loyalty card it passed totally unnoticed by Britain's populace - complete indifference and impassivity. He may well have converted to Buddhism and took up Nepalese citizenship for all they cared. They just liked (or disliked) what he wrote I reckon.

If it matters that much to you just revere his memory by thinking to himself that he never ever set foot on British soil and did all his writings in some shack on the prairies somewhere.

People change nationalities all the time and I daresay there has been trans-Pond traffic in this respect in both directions over the years - which outnumbers which is a matter of supreme indifference as far as I'm concerned.

Madonna has just bought a massive mansion next door to the one she already owns in London's Cadogan Square - or Hanover Square or some such square, and still has a mega quids pad down in the depths of the Dorset countryside where she truly believes she is some kind of Queen or Princess or some sort of royal figurehead . She still retains her American nationality apparently. Why don't you claim her back instead and arrange for her to have a SINGLE ticket to the USA out of Heathrow Airport? Please!! Soon! :-)
Jim   Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:34 pm GMT
Come on Mr Wikipedia that sounds like POV [[WP:OR]] to me where are your [[WP:RS]], where's your [[WP:V]]? I think I'm going to have to {{prod}} your post there. Elliot had a knife to his back when he wrote that.
Jim   Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm GMT
Guest   Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:01 pm GMT
You guys can hang on to Madonna. She's already tried to assimilate by affecting an English accent - and she's from Detroit...

Re: Elliot - This whole thing began when Adam claimed Elliot as British to underline British superiority (surprise) in all things literary.

This sort of thing happens all the time. The Aussies took Russel Crowe, until that found out that he was a kant. They also want to absolve themselves of Rupert Murdoch, even though he claims to be a true blue Aussie...
POV?   Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 pm GMT
POV Point Of View
POV Power of Veto (Big Brother TV show)
POV Parliament of Victoria (Australia)
POV Privately Owned Vehicle
POV Persistance of Vision (ray tracing program)
POV Power Operated Vehicle
POV Personally Owned Vehicle
PoV Plane of Valor (gaming)
POV Pissed Off Voters
POV Point of Value
PoV Packet Over VDSL
POV Propagation Of Variance
POV Proximity Operations Vehicle
POV Patient Office Visit
POV Pressure Operated Valve
Jim   Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:01 pm GMT
The first - it's a question of context.
Travis   Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:34 pm GMT
>>You guys can hang on to Madonna. She's already tried to assimilate by affecting an English accent - and she's from Detroit... <<

I agree - you guys can keep her; I really don't think a whole lot of people here, Madonna fans aside, are going to miss her all too much.
Guest   Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
I love madonna.....she is the only american singer who is worth listen to....
Guest   Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:45 am GMT
<Rubbish ... the Brits did indeed steal T. S. Elliot. Oh, you can go on and talk about the poet's own volition but it's all a smoke screen. The fact of the matter is that in 1914 a posse of pommies came to America on a ship and took the poet at gunpoint. Enough revisionism: he was stolen! >

A load of crap - strange if we talked about how Americans 'stole' our ideas, etc. we will be here for years.

One example is the Nuclear bomb. I don't hear the Germans bitching about it.

So get over it - learn to share.
Skippy   Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
Madonna's the only American singer worth listening to? Why? Because she wants to be English now?

alot of Americans feel the same way about British music... Like, it's only worth listening to the Spice Girls or... uhm...someone else...