which one?

Guest   Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 am GMT
Which do you commonly use to make a suggestion or when asking for an opinion?

Shall we leave before five?

Will we leave before five?
furrykef   Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm GMT
To me, "Shall we leave before five?" is a suggestion (that is, a way of saying "Let's leave before five"), while "Will we leave before five?" is a genuine question asked by somebody who wants to know the answer.

- Kef
Skippy   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 pm GMT
Instead of "shall" I would say "Should we leave before five?" as a genuine question. Instead of "will" I would say "are we going to leave before five?"
Brian   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:24 am GMT
I would probably say "should" rather than "shall", although the two don't seem to mean the same thing entirely.
Travis   Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:43 am GMT
I agree that in most actual usage today, especially in North America, one would probably find "should" here rather than "shall".
furrykef   Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:14 am GMT
"Should" and "shall" form slightly different questions, though. "Shall we leave before five?" strikes me as a rhetorical question, as if to say, "Let's leave before five", as I stated before. But I would interpret "Should we leave before five?" as a non-rhetorical question, as if to ask, "Would it be a good idea to leave before five?"

In practice, though, the two can be equivalent, in that the two questions would be answered the same way and the answers would have the same meaning. But the intention behind the question itself may be different: one is more of a suggestion and one is more of an actual question, at least to me, though both can be used either way.

"Shall" is more or less antiquated, at least in the U.S., so the question "Shall we leave before five?" is relatively uncommon, but it is still heard.

- Kef
M56   Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:38 am GMT
<"Shall we leave before five?" strikes me as a rhetorical question, as if to say, "Let's leave before five", as I stated before.>

I'd interpret that as "do you think we should leave/isn't it a good idea if we leave before five".
M56   Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:42 am GMT
<"Shall" is more or less antiquated, at least in the U.S., so the question "Shall we leave before five?" is relatively uncommon, but it is still heard. >

Being antiquated means that American English does not now have the possibility to distinguish between the use of "shall" and "will". I think that's a shame. American English does have the unfortunate habit of conflating forms. A narrowing of possibilities and distinctions occurs in much AE use.
furrykef   Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:58 am GMT
<< I'd interpret that as "do you think we should leave/isn't it a good idea if we leave before five". >>

Hmm. It's possible that my interpretation is idiosyncratic.

<< Being antiquated means that American English does not now have the possibility to distinguish between the use of "shall" and "will". >>

The distinction is still possible... as I said in the other thread, the difference between "No one shall rescue me" and "No one will rescue me" will still be recognized. But we tend to make such distinctions in other ways.

I don't really see such conflation as a bad thing... whenever one means of expression in a language dies out, another one always pops up. That's why the Newspeak of 1984 will never happen. :)

- Kef
Guest   Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
<I don't really see such conflation as a bad thing... whenever one means of expression in a language dies out, another one always pops up. >

What popped up to replace "shall"?