Question for Chinese!!

名無&   Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
我輩は猫である。名前はまだない。
Mitch   Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 am GMT
One more question to Kef or any Chinese/Japanese students out there:

When I was studying Chinese, I made a major effort to learn to both read and write each character. I learned a lot of characters, but not enough to really read. So I'm wondering: Maybe it's better to concentrate on just learning to read, and worry about writing later. Any thoughts? I think I would have gotten a lot closer to the 2000 or even 3000 number if I had concentrated on just learning to read. Learning to memorize how to write each one took a lot of time.
furrykef   Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 am GMT
Mm, I disagree. For one thing, it's too easy to learn to recognize only part of a character, and then you'll get in trouble when you happen upon another character that is exactly the same as the other one except for a change in the part you never paid attention to. For instance, if you only learned to recognize the right half of 猫, you might fail to recognize that 描 is a different character. This is the sort of problem I had when I tried to learn to read but not to write each character. If you learn to write the characters, you're forced to deal with these differences.

Currently I only learn to write rather than to read characters. If you learn to write, and you use a good method to learn, then reading will take care of itself. It may be a bit slower, but it's only because it's more thorough, and of course you'll know how to write as well as read, too. :)

- Kef
K. T.   Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 am GMT
Learn to write first.
Native Korean   Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:51 pm GMT
FYI, 我輩は猫である。名前はまだない。
means
"I'm a cat. I don't have a name yet."

My sentences:
私は韓国人です. ハングルは漢字より学びやすいです. 韓国語にも関心を持ってください.

If you translate this sentence correctly, I'll give you a present! LOL
K. T.   Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
A present?

I am a Korean. Hangul( Korean) is easier to learn than Kanji (Japanese/Chinese characters).

This isn't EXACTLY what you wrote, but here's what I think you mean.

I hope you'll be interested in Korean too.
K. T.   Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
That was my (K. T.'s take) on Native Korean's "test"...

I am not Korean. I do have an opportunity to learn Korean now, though. I've been debating whether to take the plunge. I don't like to do things half-way and I'm more interested in Slavic languages right now.