Picking Up Abstract Terms

beneficii   Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:12 am GMT
Kef,

Maybe, but my experience with some of the words; though if I try to think about it consciously (I usually get nowhere) I might be thinking in English words about its meaning, I think I can get at least some semblance of a meaning. But still, there are words I think I got a fairly decent feeling on despite not having looked at a translation or explanation in my language beforehand. So, I don't know.

Because I'm not regularly living for an extended period of time in Japanese society dealing with all sorts of situations where I can just passively listen to words for context, the technique might be a bit difficult and could be seen to be the equivalent of trying to run up the wall. But I wish to continue my brute persistence.
beneficii   Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:15 am GMT
KT,

Really, you can pick them up from Japanese groceries? Wow, too bad there don't seem to be any near Memphis. I had tried some stores in New York (Kinokuniya and Bookoff), but they don't seem to have them. Perhaps I can look for obscure Japanese groceries on a directory somewhere. Do you have any you can point out?
K. T.   Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 am GMT
Check out small Japanese and Korean groceries. They RENT the videos out. I live in the Mid-South and I've found videos in Japanese in THREE stores in my state. I did a quick check and there are THREE Korean markets listed for Memphis. Have you ever checked in any of them? You probably know this, but Korean markets usually carry some Japanese items. I also noticed that there is an authentic-looking Japanese restaurant in Memphis (Sekisui/ Kanji for stone and water); you could try there.

Have you tried becoming a member of the Japan-America society of TN?

This should be enough to get you started. Happy Hunting.
k t   Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:54 am GMT
Thanks. I do know of a Chinese market on Summer Ave. that I go into that sells Japanese candy (that I like to buy). As for restaurants, I know the one that actual Japanese people in Memphis go to is Edo Restaurant (which I like to go to too), which is also on Summer Ave. At none of those places did I see videos though. Thank you for your advice on the Korean markets and will be checking them out (same with the Japan-America society of TN). ^-^
beneficii   Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 am GMT
I apologize, that last one was mine -addressed- to K.T.