Been used before

Pos   Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:05 am GMT
Do you agree with this?

All sentences are a reproduction, with variation, of an earlier sentence.
furrykef   Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 am GMT
Not really. It might be accurate to say that all clauses are variations of a previous clause, but the way you can string clauses together theoretically allows sentences of infinite length.

- Kef
M56   Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:49 am GMT
Yes, I agree.
Jim   Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
If true, then for all sentences there exists an earlier sentence. Thus the number of sentences that ever have been would be infinite. Nobody can produce an infinite number of sentences. There have not been an infinite number of beings capable of producing sentences. There the statement must be false.
Guest   Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
<Thus the number of sentences that ever have been would be infinite. Nobody can produce an infinite number of sentences.>

You missed this part, Jim:

<<with variation, >>
Jim   Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
How so? Though I did overlook the premise that there exists a sentence.
Jim   Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 pm GMT
With or without variation, for a sentence to be a reproduction of an earlier sentence, this earlier sentence must have existed. Thus if this statement is true then for every sentence that existed there was an earlier one. This eariler one, being a sentence too, must therefore have been preceeded by an even eariler one. The same would be true of this even eariler one. This could be extended infinitely. The statement therefore (admittedly taken very literally) entails that if there exists or ever had existed a sentence, then there has existed an infinite number of them. Reductio ad absurdum.
furrykef   Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
I still think that the point that sentences can be infinitely long means that the statement cannot be true, unless you have a very, very broad definition of "variation"...

- Kef
Guest   Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
All Jim's sentences above and your too, Kef, I have seen before. Some of the words may be different, but they are at base the same sentences i've seen a thousand times.
furrykef   Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 pm GMT
Perhaps, but what if I make a single sentence that's as long as the U.S. Declaration of Independence? Would you have seen that sort of sentence before?

- Kef
Guest   Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:04 am GMT
<Would you have seen that sort of sentence before? >

Do it, then I'll tell you if i have.