Asian International languages

Babel   Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 am GMT
In my opinion there is only one Asian international language: English.

Chinese is important in China, Hong-Kong, or Singapore, but it is not studied in India or Arabic countries. Perhaps the role of Chinese is overestimated.

The same with Arabic that is not studied in India, China or Japan. Indonesian or Hindi are not very widespread. At the same time, Russian is spoken in the former USSR, but not in all Asia.

Finally, Japanese, German, Spanish and French are minority foreign languages. So, you can see that in Asiatic-Pacific international organizations like APEC, only English is official.

Do you think the same?
Guest   Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:00 am GMT
Yes. APEC, SAARC and ASEAN use only English as official language. Chinese, Russian, or Spanish are not official languages.
Russophile   Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:02 am GMT
But Russian is the number 1 foreign language in Ex-Soviet Republics in Central Asia, Mongolia, and also studied in North Korea.
Babel   Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:12 am GMT
Yes. You are right. Russian is an important language in the former USSR and some other countries. At the same time, it is an official UNO language.

But Russian is not studied in Arabic countries, India, Japan or Indonesia. Secondly,it is not official in Asiatic organizations, like APEC, where Russia is an official member.
Russophile   Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:24 am GMT
Actually Russian, English, Chinese, Japanese, Bahasa, Spanish and Thai are official languages of APEC.

Have you seen the APEC sign, they are written in those languages which means they are official languages of the organizations.

French is absent because you can't find a French speaking country member of that Asia-Pacific region organization although French presence can be felt in New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna, and Vanuatu.

Similarly Hindi, which is the most important langauge in India is not an official language because Indians function in English in international scene.
Babel   Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 pm GMT
I read that in APEC there is one official language: English. Where have you seen this APEC sign?
Russophile   Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:58 pm GMT
Whenever they have a summit. It is written on the languages of its member countries. Also the head of state deliver their speeches in their native languages. You can't expect President Putin to deliver hid speech in English.
Native Korean   Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:13 pm GMT
In Korea and Japan, Chinese is most widely learned foreing language other than English.
Most people hardly speak Chinese though =p
(Both Koreans and Japaneses)
Hardly anyone studies Arabic or Russian here in South Korea.

Personally, I think East Asians are generally not good at speaking foreign languages.
That's a sad reality.
Guest   Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
<The same with Arabic that is not studied in India>

200 million muslims reside in india.
Native Korean   Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
<The same with Arabic that is not studied in India>

200 million muslims reside in india.

=> Muslims don't necessarily speak Arabic.
Muslims in India probably speak Urdu or some other languages.
Mac   Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:59 am GMT
English for sure. Many countries in East Asia teach and encourage English in High school for a reason. Some being Japan, China, South Korea, and Singapore. Also, English is official in India and the Philippines. Not sure about it's presence in Indonesia though?

I live in Japan now and have being traveling in Asia, and I have to say the most convenient international languages to know in Asia are English, Chinese and Japanese.
K. T.   Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 am GMT
"In my opinion there is only one Asian international language: English."

I agree. Even in China, they use English. You may have an American company with Thai, Korean, and Japanese employees IN China and they are using English, not Chinese for communication. Does the French president of a medium-sized company learn Chinese just so he can sell his products in Asia? No. He learns English.

Although chemists and engineers may be encouraged to take a foreign language in college (i.e. German), who REALLY has the time to learn Chinese when other classes take up so much time?

Is Chinese difficult? I hate that word "difficult"...Let's say this: Chinese is TIME-CONSUMING. If you start Chinese and some form of engineering in college, I do not think you are going to graduate in four years with both degrees.
Romanus   Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 am GMT
Les langue qui sont les plus importants sont l'espagnol pas de question!
Et L'anglais aussi et le francais. les autres langues en asie-- a la merde!
ce sont des langues sans beaute comme le francais at l'espagnol. vivre les langues d'origin latin. l'anglais est inclus parce que l'aglais a des mots francais
Presley.   Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:12 am GMT
Um, may I polietely ask why my last comment was deleted.