used to/would equal treatment in class?

M56   Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 am GMT
<"We always used to go down to the beach and swim. Then after swimming we ___used to eat__ ice cream." >

Where is that example from?
M56   Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 am GMT
<Saying "we used to do this, and we used to do that" typically implies no connection between "this" and "that". Somehow the sentences still feel unconnected even when you change "and" to "then". That's just how it sounds to me... >

To me too. This also sounds odd.

"As I child I would go down to the beach at sunrise and I used to fish for crabs until nine."

I could replace the first "would" and use "used to", but the second "would" sounds better to me, there.
Guest   Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:36 am GMT
<For example "I would study French, if I had the time." >

Are you a native speaker of English, Skippy?
Guest   Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 am GMT
<'used to' is used for both repetitive and durative actions whereas 'would' is used for repetitive but not durative actions. >

Many of us know that, davidab, but how does it help us here?
JP   Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:27 am GMT
<<"As I child I would go down to the beach at sunrise and I used to fish for crabs until nine."

I could replace the first "would" and use "used to", but the second "would" sounds better to me, there.>>

I wouldn't include a second "would" or "used to" there at all. To me, it sounds just fine to say, "As a child, I would go down to the beach at sunrise and fish for crabs until nine."
M56   Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:32 am GMT
<I wouldn't include a second "would" or "used to" there at all. To me, it sounds just fine to say, "As a child, I would go down to the beach at sunrise and fish for crabs until nine." >

Yes, that sounds good, but we still need to figure out why some speakers would include a second "would" there.