What kind of Arabic do "United Arab Emirates" peop

L'italofilo   Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:48 am GMT
I know that United Arab Emirates people speak "Arabic", but which kind of "Arabic" do they speak? Egyptian Araibc? Saudi Arabic? or other styles?
Ryan   Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:55 am GMT
The people there who are Arabs speak mostly Gulf Arabic, I think. There seem to be some Egyptian Arabic speakers though. Try this site:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=AE
L'italofilo   Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:57 am GMT
Ryan

Thanks!
L'italofilo   Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:08 am GMT
Would Gulf Arabic be worth studying specially? What's the main difference between Standard Arabic and Gulf Arabic? What about Egyptian Arabic then?
Ryan   Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:16 am GMT
I suppose it depends on where you want to live in the Arab world. I've heard that Egyptian Arabic is a good variety to know though, since much of the Arabic media such as television shows that are watched throughout the Arab world are in this particular variety.
L'italofilo   Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:25 am GMT
It sounds that Gulf Style is less useful than Egyptian style? If one person lives in UAE (United Arab Emirates) or Saudi Arabia, Which style would be better then? Thanks again!
Guest   Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:55 am GMT
Egyptian Arabic is probably your best choice to elect amongst all. As many on here have disclosed, it's the most aired on T.V and people would generally understand it. Moreover I think if one would to learn
-standard- Arabic, he or she would be able to get by easily, however, sound too formal (e.g. literary style) and locals would probably know quickly he or she is an foreigner, or a scholar or what have you.
L'italofilo   Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:05 am GMT

Thank you! OK, I see, Egyptian Arabic (Colloquial Arabic) is worth learning and very helpful. Standard Arabic is also necessary especially in basal period of learning Arabic.