Russian in the Former USSR

Babel   Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:04 pm GMT
I´d like to know if Russian is studied in countries of the former USSR or is disappearing there. For instance, the language is studied at school in Latvia, Turkmenistan or Georgia or not? Do you think that Russian will disappear in the near future there?

Thanks.
Skippy   Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
I have a friend from Leipzig who studied Russian in Gymnasium and another friend from Lithuania who speaks it fluently (though, unlike many Lithuanians, Lithuanian is her first language).

But yes, in my experience a significant number of Eastern Europeans still study Russian or (those in the Baltic States especially) speak it fluently because of its prominence in their nations.
from Belarus   Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:56 pm GMT
in Belarus Russian is a state language and a native language for the majority. If you come here you'll here mostly Russian spoken.
Dryankola   Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
I'm from Ukraine, if you live in Kiev, you will hear mostly ukrainian but you can also hear Russian speaking people very often but if you live in Odessa or in the south and east of Ukraine, you will definitely hear Russian. But in addition if you live in west of Ukraine, you will hear Belarussian, Hungarian and Polish spoken. I personally, living in Kiev, speak both of them, but mostly Russian because it is easier...
Durshchnik   Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
I agree Dryankola, he explainned the situation here very well, but I live in Kiev, but unlike him, speak Ukrainian mostly. But I also use Russian while speaking to elderly people, young people also use Russian but use Ukrainian too in some cases. You should really live in Ukraine to understand when to use Russian and when to use Ukrainian...