"gonna" vs. "going to" at the end of a s

Jim H.   Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
I'd only ever use "going to" at the end of a sentence e.g. "I'm not going to.", I've heard people say "I'm not gonna", but that's not something I'd use. How is this for you guys?
Travis   Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:21 pm GMT
I myself tend to generally strongly prefer "going to" over "gonna" in sentence-final positions as well, but at the same time having "gonna" in sentence-final positions is not ungrammatical for me either and I may use it on occasion (primarily cases where I was going to continue with the sentence but decided mid-sentence to stop there, though).
Travis   Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 pm GMT
I pronounce "gonna" as ["gV~4~@:] (implying that it is really underlylingly /"gVnt@/ in my dialect despite how it is conventionally spelled).
Travis   Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm GMT
I should note that said /t/ is probably a good example of a "silent phoneme" in my dialect which only exists to make all the rest of the analysis work out right - I never have [t] or [t_h] in "gonna", and rather such is solely there to explain the presence of the short vowel in the first syllable [V~] rather than [V~:] and of the nasal flap [4~] where one might expect [n] (as my dialect does distinguish [4~] and [n] intervocalically).
Jim H.   Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
<<How do you pronounce 'gonna'? I've heard people who use their THOUGHT vowel in the first syllable, but I use STRUT, or have a reduced vowel: [gVn6] or [g1n6].>>

I myself actually pronounce it [go@n@], where [o@] is a diphthong. I don't have either the STRUT or THOUGHT vowel in that word.
Kess   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
''How do you pronounce 'gonna'?''

gona [gAn@] strong form
gona [g@n@] weak form
Kess   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
''I myself actually pronounce it [go@n@]''

that's Southern pronunciation
Travis   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
>><<How do you pronounce 'gonna'? I've heard people who use their THOUGHT vowel in the first syllable, but I use STRUT, or have a reduced vowel: [gVn6] or [g1n6].>>

I myself actually pronounce it [go@n@], where [o@] is a diphthong. I don't have either the STRUT or THOUGHT vowel in that word<<

I forget - where are you from exactly? (I thought you said here in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure.)
Travis   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:29 pm GMT
>>''How do you pronounce 'gonna'?''

gona [gAn@] strong form
gona [g@n@] weak form<<

There aren't weak and strong forms of "gonna" here; the equivalent of using a strong form would be to simply use "going to" here.
furrykef   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
I prefer "going to" here as well, but this can be contrasted with "I don't wanna", which is a common child's complaint:

Mom: Clean your room!
Kid: I don't wanna!
Kess   Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
''There aren't weak and strong forms of "gonna" here; the equivalent of using a strong form would be to simply use "going to" here.''

Not really, by STRONG forms I mean STRESSED forms...
And yes, GONNA can have both stressed and weak (not stressed forms...
At least, Longman Pronunciation Dictionary has them listed (gonna: strong forms [gQn@] or [gAn@]; weak form [g@n@] ;)
Jim H.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:28 am GMT
<<I forget - where are you from exactly? (I thought you said here in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure.)>>

Alabama. I'm not from Wisconsin.
Travis   Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:42 am GMT
>>Alabama. I'm not from Wisconsin.<<

I think i was confusing you with someone else then. The reason why I asked is that the pronunciation that you gave for "gonna" is very, very different from anything I have heard here.