A Question for Arabic Language

superdavid   Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:38 am GMT
Arabic is widley spoken from Saudi Arabia through Egypt to Morocco.

I've heard there are many dialects and variation in Arabic language since it is spoken in a vast area.

1. If so, are the Arabic dialects mutually intelligible?
(Can Lebanese and Egyptian speak each other without any problem?)

2. Which dialect or accent is considered to be Standard Arabic language?
Youth   Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
what Josh Lalonde is correct.

Also Egyptian and the Levatine dialect are the most widely understood, due to the size and influence of Egypt and Lebanon Entertainment industry.

However, most arabs from different regions can communicate with each other as long as they do not heavily use local idioms and speak clearly.

The use of MSA is increasing, and is important in reading in Arabic as it is the only arabic form used in to write.
Presley.   Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:44 am GMT
I really like the way MSA sounds. I just hope I'm not turning this into a "Sapnish is the most beautiful blah, blah, blah".
Travis   Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:00 am GMT
>>However, most arabs from different regions can communicate with each other as long as they do not heavily use local idioms and speak clearly.<<

So would you say that their crossintelligibility is closer to or further from that of, say, High German (including Yiddish) and Low German (including Dutch and Afrikaans) dialects than that of, say, Romance languages or Chinese languages, for example?