Which of these 3 languages should I learn?

Alex   Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
I have always loved the thuoght of speaking differnet langauges, and presentley, I only speak English and some Spanish, and very very little German. However Slavic languages have always intrested me. I am considering Czech, Bulgarian, and i know its not slavic but Romanian. Since Spanish and Romanian are both romance I have been told this would be easiest for me. But all these languages seem very intresting to me. I'm not going by popularity. I defintley want to learn something differnet. If you have any thoughts on which i should choose, let me know. Does anyone know which of these is hardest for en English speaker? Or does anyone speak these languages?
Guest   Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:47 pm GMT
Alex,

Are you really a native speaker of English? Perhaps you are one of those brilliant people who type too fast...

I think you should try to master Spanish and German first. After all, you've already invested some time in those practical languages. Slavic languages are really beautiful to my ears, but if your starting point is English, I think you will find them a tad more difficult than Spanish or German.

I speak Spanish and German (and some other languages), and I'm learning Serbo-Croatian/Bosnian, Russian and another Slavic language.

Consider this: How much do you want to learn? What are your goals? I suspect that it will not be so easy to find intermediate material for those languages unless you have a good source. If you have family members who speak one of these languages, then perhaps it would not be too difficult. If it is really a great desire, go for it.
greg   Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:18 pm GMT
Alex : pourquoi tant de questions ? Choisis une langue et apprends-la. Si tu as le temps, le goût et les aptitudes pour ça, apprends-en deux, voire trois ! Si tu ne sais pas comment te décider pour commencer, essaie pile ou face. Mais c'est vrai qu'avec trois langues ça va pas être possible. Alors, je sais pas, prends un chapeau, écris le nom des langues sur trois petits papiers et tires-en un au hasard !
K. T.   Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
"Alors, je sais pas, prends un chapeau, écris le nom des langues sur trois petits papiers et tires-en un au hasard !"

Too funny!

I've noticed that your messages in French and German are on the edge of being ornery lately. Sometimes I'm tempted to translate them for those who can't read them (lol)...

Alex: greg suggests that you just choose a language and later if it seems that you enjoy languages or have a knack for them, THEN you can learn other languages. Of course, it was funnier in French.

If you like, I could translate it exactly, but greg knows English quite well and perhaps he'd like to translate it himself for you.
furrykef   Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
<< but greg knows English quite well and perhaps he'd like to translate it himself for you. >>

I don't doubt it, but I've yet to see greg ever write in English on this forum. For whatever reason, he seems unwilling.

- Kef
Guest   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:42 am GMT
Learn Romanian: its the language of the Romans
Alex   Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:13 am GMT
Yes, Guest.. I'm one of those brilliant people that types to fast. I dont care or have the time to go back and look at every word, after all you can understand me so it's not a big deal. Thanks for the advice everyone, although no one really gave me their opionion. I know i have to choose a language, it's not a matter of liking one, i like them all. I just dont know which of these fascinating ones to choose from. I dont want to master Spanish and German because i didnt choose to learn them. I was taught German when I was little and Spanish in high school. So if anyone else has any ideas let me know.
Guest   Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am GMT
Learn Russian because of its importance in Ex-Soviet republics but Eastern Europe, Mongolia, cuba, Gibraltar, and now Turkey and making a comebcak in China.