Which of these 3 slavic languages should i learn?

Alex   Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:05 am GMT
I am considering learning Czech, Bulgarian, and Romanian..yes i know its a romance language. I speak only English, some Spanish, and very very little in German. Ive always been intrested in Slavic culture and language. I was wondering if anyone knew about these languages and how they consider them to be. I dont know if any one these would be easier then anothor to learn? If anyone knows or speaks one, please give me some insight. Maybe you can help me decide which one to go for.
Marc   Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
you said you want to learn slavic language......then why do you include Romanian between them....?
Peter   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
Romanian is not a Slavic language. You mentioned that you wanted to know which language was the easiest. Since you speak only English, and some Spanish, may I suggest that you learn Romanian. It is, by far the closest of those three languages to English and Spanish. If you know Spanish well, Romanian will come to you a lot faster than Czech, or Bulgarian.
Skippy   Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
I'd say Czech... But that's just me.... I don't make it much farther east of that.
Dryankola   Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:08 am GMT
Why these unnecessary languages? I think you should go for Russian spoken by 300 million rather than Bulgarian, Romanian or even Czech which each are only spoken by just 10 million. These languages aren't better or easier than Russian I think, maybe only Romanian is easier than Russian but, Czech and Bulgarian is the same of Russian...
Hutch   Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:45 am GMT
I agree with Dryankola. If you're going to study a language, study one with hundreds of millions of speakers instead of a minor language. Especially in the case of Romanian, where there is so much emigration, the number of native speakers is actually dwindling.
alexxx   Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:30 pm GMT
I know Romanian is not a slavic language, but it is far more slavic then romance i think. Plus its situated around many slavic speaking countries. Many people add Romanian in when speaking of Slavic langauges. Anyways done with that, i dont really want to learn Russian. I dont care if these langauges aren't spoken by millions I want to learn a less popular language. So if anyone else can give me their point of view let me know.
Babel   Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:49 pm GMT
If you know some Spanish, Romanian will be the easiest.

If you want to study Czech or Bulgarian, I´d study Czech because they use Latin alphabet, and Bulgarian use Cyrillic alphabet.

At the same time, Czech is perhaps more practical because, Slovak language is very similar to Czech. You can understand more or less two languages.
Maximus   Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 am GMT
man.....listen to Romanian....does this sound like a slavic language?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ_Lbfwtmx8
Maximus   Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:37 am GMT
listen this better.... romanian song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YpKKEK3wNE
Xie Z.A.   Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 am GMT
But IIRC, Bulgarian grammar is much simpler.
K.T.   Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:58 pm GMT
Nice songs! I liked both of them.
Alexx   Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:39 am GMT
Thanks people for the few that gave me practical answers i appreciate it. I have decided on learning Romanian I think. Bulgarian is just not a language that is very popular with people. i cant find it at any language schools that offer it around where i live. they do however have Romanian and Czech and considering it will be easier for me since i know some spanish i figure its the best way to go. still i really am intrested with Bulgarian. if anyone knows anythign about it let me know
andrei   Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
"know Romanian is not a slavic language, but it is far more slavic then romance i think."

Alex... i suggest you to study more... or try to learn romanian and you will see that romanian is a truly romance language.
If u have to choose, learn romanian because it has the largest number of native speakers: 25 million, more than double than czech and bulgarian together
Zuikis   Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:06 am GMT
Learn Belarussian, then you will understand Lukashenko - the greatest president of our time ;)))))