Do I have an American Accent?

Native Korean   Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
http://media.putfile.com/Comma-Gets-A-Cure-76

I was born in Korea and I've lived all my life here in Korea.
I've never been to the United States, but people often tell me that I have an American accent.

Native English speakers, what do you think about my English accent?
Do I really have an American accent?

If you think I do, which area's accent is closest to my accent?
Is it close to General American or do I sound more like Californian?

Please give me some tips how I can improve my English accent 'Cause I want to manipulate people =D

http://media.putfile.com/Comma-Gets-A-Cure-76
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
-You seem to pronounce /E/ as [æ] some of the time, which is a feature of the Canadian and California vowel shifts (found in Canada and the Western US, especially in California). Perhaps [E] and [æ] are allophones of /E/ in Korean. Or perhaps you had teachers from those areas. You certainly don't have a Southern accent.
-Your /o/ sounds are a little bit different sounding.
-"Deserted", you should pronounce the "t" as an alveolar flap.
-Job. I can't tell if you have the [A]/[O] merger. (Because I have it). This is found in the Western US and all over Canada, as well as in some other areas. Perhaps someone that is unmerged will comment on it. Midwestern accents on the other hand do not normally have the merger.
-Your r's are generally very good.
-You need to focus on the distinction between tense and lax [I] and [i]. When you say "even" it sounds more like [Iv@n].
-Bowl, sounded more like "ball" to me. You need to work on your tense [o] sound.
-Kit: don't release the [t].
-headed: another /E/->[æ] shift.
-when: I think you pronounced it as [wIn]. Most non pin-pen merged Californians use [wEn] instead. That is one of the things that tip me off to a Southwestern accent. Here it is pronounced [wIn] by most people, although we are not pin-pen merged.
-goose: make sure you have an [s] not a [z]
-Waiting: good, you used a flap for waiting.
-foot: you said almost [fu?] instead of [fU?]
-only: again work on your o's, as well as pre-nasal vowels in general.
-sentimental: sentihmental not senteemental
-accent: you seem to have the pin-pen merger. This is found in certain areas of California.

So, anyway, I would say you have close to a Western or Midlands or big city or West Texas accent, although I wouldn't say you could pin it down to California specifically, anymore that I would be able to pin it down to New Mexico, or Idaho, or Western Kansas. You seem to be pin-pen merged, which is interesting.

To narrow it down further say these words as well
-cot
-cat
-caught
-bag
-tag
-sag
-vague
-beg
-note
-tomorrow
-sorry
-thank
-sank
-pillow
-again
-length
-out
-height
-impulse
-culture
-cult
-difficult
-dull
-dole
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:04 pm GMT
Well, your accent is definitely a North American accent. There is not even the slightest bit of British, or Irish, or Australian, or New Zealand influence in it. You are very understandable, but you do have some traces of a foreign accent. But you did a great job!
Guy   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
You sound like a Korean who has worked very hard on your accent, but anyways it's a great job:)
You could probably pass for someone who moved to the US at a fairly young age.

I agree with all of the things that Sarcastic Northwesterner mentioned, and apart from that, to me the pronunciation of the word 'kid' sounded kind of weird. It sounds more like 'kit'.

My cousins from Arizona have a bit similar accent to yours, but I suppose it doesn't give so much of a region-specific accent kind of impression.

By the way hasn't this been done before?

Guy
AnnieJP   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
It's not very nice to manipulate people.

>=|
Blondie   Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:31 am GMT
Your accent is pretty good for a non-native English speaker.