Votre vs. Vôtre vs. Vos

Rodrigo (COL)   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 pm GMT
Could anyone please explain the differences betwwen thes three? Google says vôtre is 'yours' and votre 'your', is this correct? and is the pronounciation the same?

Thanks
K. T.   Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
Good answer! I wonder where they merge.
Rodrigo (COL)   Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
Thank you for the answer, does the same thing happen with notre?
In Spanish vuestro can mean yours or masculine your, that's why I didn't know how it was in French.
OïL   Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 pm GMT
"In Quebec French, which I am most familiar with, they are 'vos' [vo], 'votre' [vOtR@], and 'vôtre' [votR@]. I think this is true of Parisian French as well, but other parts of France merge /O/ and /o/, and would therefore pronounce 'votre' and 'vôtre' the same."

Le 1/3 Sud du Pays (Sud-Ouest, Languedoc, Provence) ne fait pas de différence dans la prononciation de 'votre' et 'vôtre'. C'est une des caractéristiques de l'accent du Midi.
Curieusement, on observe le même phénomène dans l'extrême-Nord, à Lille et Dunkerque.
OïL   Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
"does the same thing happen with notre? "

Oui.
Adjectif possessif: "notre maison", "nos maisons"
Pronom possessif: "la nôtre", "les nôtres"

On peut également dire "cette maison est nôtre" (pour traduire "this house is ours") mais c'est un peu littéraire.
En fait, on dit toujours "cette maison est à nous".
Rodrigo (COL)   Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:24 am GMT
Thank you very much for the answers. I don't know if you did it on purpose but even though I'm not fluent in French I understood perfectly.