Immigrants and names

Franco   Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:43 am GMT
How long on average, before immigrant background people will start giving local-style names? First generations , or second? Once the native language is forgotten?

What is your opinion?
Franco   Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:48 am GMT
What is your experiences of this?
George   Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
I've met many first generation immigrants from Mexico and Central America who've given their US-born children Anglo-American-style names like Jonathan, Jason, Kevin, Jennifer, Britney, Heather, etc.
Skippy   Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 pm GMT
For the most part, immigrants to the US (non-Hispanic) will immediately name their children English-sounding names... I have a friend from Toronto (I know, Canada... same concept) whose name is Katherine even though her parents are FOB Poles... However, it seems like second or third generation Americans will tend to use foreign names, at least as middle names, to retain their heritage (Though they may choose a name whose English counterpart is easily recognized).

The reason many Hispanics do not choose to do this is because there is such a large Hispanic population that there is really no need to immediately begin integrating into "American" society.
Guest 224   Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
My parents, my siblings, and I immigrated to the US seventeen years ago from Vietnam. After about 8 years in the United States, we gained citizenship, turned our Vietnamese names into our middle names, and adopted new American names.

Now, my siblings who have kids, name their children with American/English names but they still retain their heritage by keeping a Vietnamese middle name.
Ken   Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 am GMT
It's the opposite in my family. My parents are from Japan and my siblings and I have Japanese first names. Our middle names are American.

Of course, I have dual citizenship because I was born in the United States and Japanese citizenship is hereditary.
Guest 224   Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 am GMT
Hereditary Citizenship...hmmmm

This is question to anybody out there, but is it true that German citizenship can only be granted to persons whose grandfathers were German citizens? So even if you're a second-generation German, you're still not German? That's what my history teacher told me, but now, I'm not so sure...
Ken   Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:57 am GMT
Ken   Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:58 am GMT
Although I do think discussing citizenship policies is a deviation from the original topic.