Simon Cowell's Accent

Guest   Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
And how is Cowell abusing people? They're abusing him with their awfull performances!!
Jasper   Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
<<1. I think the color is beautiful (it's OK)
2. I think a lighter, warmer tone would flatter your skin a little better (it's not OK) >>

Guest, she asked me to tell her the truth. I told her the truth as tactfully as I could.

How would YOU have worded it? The color was too dark for her skin type.

<<I think you're just messed up.>>

You have the right to your own opinion. ;-)
Guest   Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:46 pm GMT
I'd put it like this:

>>In my personal opinion, a lighter, warmer tone would flatter your skin a little better<<

There is no need for the first part of your sentence.
You can't say: I think A, BUT I REALLY think B. That's not tactfull, it just sounds unsincere.

Of course, all this is just my personal opinion. ;>
Jasper   Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
No, no, you've got it all wrong.

It really was a beautiful color--a dark, warm chestnut brown. It just didn't look good with her particular skin tone. I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Later on, she thanked me. She'd gone home to her husband, who'd told her the same thing. She told me,"Thank you--you're the only one who told me the truth." A couple of months later, she changed her color to a light, warm brown. It looked lovely, and I told her so.

Guest, some people ask your opinion because they want the truth; women, especially, don't like looking ridiculous. You have to tailor the response to each invididual. One woman at work wants the truth, and wants it blunt; one doesn't want the truth at all. All the rest want the truth, but like it softened down a little bit. These opinions are SOLICITED.

By contrast, Cowell once told a performer, who turned out to be mildly mentally retarded, "You look like some creature who crawled out of a swamp."

Cowell's opinion on his (this guest's) appearance was not sought, and--in my mind--Cowell's being downright cruel.

A little bit of good manners will go a long way, Guest.
Damian in London SW15   Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 pm GMT
I'm not sure that Cowell could be considered cruel. As I said before - he is being honest and bluntly straightforward and there are probably reasons why he does that.

All those performers are hoping to break into show business, one of the cruellest and most difficult of professions in which to survive against all manner of odds. The verbal flak Simon Cowell chucks at them during those auditions is nothing compared to what they will have to face from all quarters if and when they succeed in the business. They have volunteered to subject themselves to people like Simon Cowell, and if they can't stand the fire then, then there is little hope for them later on when they have to face critics and a very mean press and media generally, all far more cruel and harsh than Cowell could ever be. He is just giving them a foretaste of what might come later. End of. :-)
Sarah&#1613;   Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:45 am GMT
Hello Damian in London E14. Thank you so much:-)
I agree that the truth hurts sometimes, but we should use a polite way to criticize somebody, in my opinion! imagine yourself in his place, you will feel shame and down!

It is my owner to talk with you, and my other friends in this forum, more and learn more because I study ESL in the second year at university, and I do love the British Accent, even though it looks like a little bit complicated! I did listen to Gorden Brown(PM) in the summit, I also love the way he speaks with. Do you mind if I ask you to give me your e-mail, so that we can talk more:-) If you see another point, I will accept it.
Cheers
Sarah   Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:48 am GMT
Oops!!! That was me!
Gabriel   Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:50 am GMT
I'm surprised that no one has even considered the possibility that the bluntness of this guy and the relative softness of the other judges are no more than an arranged feature of the show. If all the judges in the panel were equally mellow, I'm sure the ratings would suffer. Ditto for a panel of all cruel, harsh judges.
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 am GMT
Indeed. There is very little reality in so-called "reality TV" shows.
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 pm GMT
<< I'm surprised that no one has even considered the possibility that the bluntness of this guy and the relative softness of the other judges are no more than an arranged feature of the show. >>

Actually, I did realize this:

< I don't think all three judges should be like him, but he provides some balance to the other two. >

- Kef
Sarah   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 pm GMT
<<I would advise you not to write your e-mail on here, Damian. I know it makes things harder Sarah, but there are a lot of trolls on here,>> I completely agree with you Josh. I said<<If you see another point, I will accept it!>>
Damian in London E14   Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:10 am GMT
Thanks for the advice Josh, and for your supervision of this forum. I wouldn't give out my e-mail address in an open forum like this anyway for obvious reasons, and I'm sorry I can't contact Sarah in the way she would like. I know we have discussed the possiblility of making this forum one with a log-in-password system with PM facilities but that has been ruled out ftb anyway. I'd be happy to use passwords, but no matter.

Sorry Sarah!

The new Prime Minister Gordon Brown has a reputation for being a "dour, sober Scot"! In a way it's true - he is literally a "son of the manse" - ie: his father was a Presbyterian minister, and he was brought up in the manse - ie the home of a minister of the church. He can look a wee bit miserable and stern and that makes a change from the Cheshire Cat smiliness of his predecessor Tony Blair. Gordon Brown's accent is that of Fife - just across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh. Tony Blair was born and educated in Edinburgh - so it looks as if the UK is set to be ruled over by Scots for the forseeable future! No wonder Adam is so happy. Yay! Get over it, Adam!
Vanessa   Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
I am an American and I LOVE Simon Cowell! Most times I love his blunt comments! He's the only honest one of the 3 judges! I think on a handful of times he may have been a little harsh...however overall I think he's the only honest one of the bunch!

I honestly believe if Simon was not on the show the ratings would not have been as good as they have been. His comments, however, you view them, have attributed to the success of the show.

Just my two cents!
Andy (from the same place   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
I find that most people appreciate honesty -even blunt honesty. People do sometimes give me a bemused look at the time (as if to say "I can't believe you just said that") but later they get over the shock and know I'm someone they can trust. However, girls have stopped asking me "does my bum look big in this?".

To answer Sarah, yes some of us realized Simon is there as an arranged feature to balance out the other two (rather bland) judges and to provide some entertainment in an over-hyped, old-fashioned talent show. Some of us couldn't be bothered to type it, Kef did though.

The whole good-guy (hooray), evil-guy (boo-hiss) thing reminds me of pantomime, but perhaps some you have never experienced this dramatic art-form?. Damian, do they do panto in Scotland or is it just a strange English thing?.