Plain or formatted text in Supermemo sentences

wojtek   Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:50 pm GMT
Hi,

I am new to Supermemo technology and now I'm thinking about creating my own database. Do you use offered special format modes (bold, italic, underline etc.) to stress the most significant part of the sentence to learn or you prefer plain ascii text?

For example:

Formatted text:
The enemy decided <b>to give up</b>. The battle <b>was over</b>
on the contrary to plain text:
The enemy decided to give up. The battle was over.

In my opinion formatting of the text make it easier to learn the most significant part of the sentence but you spend more time to prepare it and the sentence is less portable (for example to ipod etc). What is your experience? Formatting or plain text?

Thank you in advance,
Guest   Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
My supermemo collection contains 10,000 example sentences and they are in plain text format. I needed to spend extra time on preparing the example sentences in formatted text format. I normally follow copy and paste method with no intention of dressing my sentences with features like bold, italic...etc. I could spend that extra time in appending more sentences to my supermmeo collection.
furrykef   Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
I don't use special formatting for sentence items. I did when I first started using them, but I stopped because I decided that I should interpret the whole sentence rather than just a portion of it. But that's just my approach... yours is perfectly valid as well. All I can say is that you should experiment and find out what works for you.

- Kef