"truthing" and "saming"

Jose   Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:17 am GMT
I heard this line in a song:

“You keep lying, when you oughta be truthing. You keep saming when you oughta be changing."

How often are "truth" and "same" used as verbs?
Guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:26 am GMT
I've never heard of it before. The singer probably made it up for the song.
furrykef   Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:53 am GMT
I agree with the Guest above; it's just a poetic device.
Lazar   Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:03 am GMT
I agree with Guest and furrykef - I've never heard of those verbs before. I think the songwriter just made them up in order to have simple antonyms to "lie" and "change".
Guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:30 am GMT
...these boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do... one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.
Another Guest   Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:33 am GMT
To Guest:

Things do happen and you'd better contact only with barefoot people
Guest   Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am GMT
"Truthing" and "saming" just sound like typical cases of verbing to me.

Example: "mentor" gets verbed, ending up with forms like "mentoring" and "mentee".
furrykef   Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:47 pm GMT
"Mentoring" is an acceptable form of the word. It does sound a bit odd to my ears, but I have no doubt that it is a word (and neither does my dictionary). I haven't heard "mentee" and it just doesn't sound right to me at all. "-or" just doesn't become "-ee" as readily as "-er" does. Apparently it's debatable about whether the word is acceptable or not, and the argument is more complex than one would think at first...

- Kef
Guest   Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:19 pm GMT
Around here, people use the word "mentee", whether it's "acceptable" or not (according to the dictionaries).

"Mentee" would imply a verb "ment", I suppose (like mugger/mug/muggee or caller/call/callee), but perhaps mentee is an exception to the usual rule?
goingtruthing   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
never be satisfied with just the truth......there is always more truthing to learning and it is ok to be creating with wording as long as no one gets hurting anywhereing lol ing truthing peace and loving kindness allways
Uriel   Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:57 pm GMT
Okay, that was just a song. Nancy Sinatra didn't sigle-handedly add those words to the actual spoken language.

However, geologists do speak of "ground truthing", which is going out to physically inspect a piece of land to see if it really fits the theoretical framework being used to describe it:

"Ground truthing is the process of sending technicians to gather data in the field that either complements or disputes airborne remote sensing data collected by aerial photography, satellite sidescan radar, or infrared images. The team of ground truthing scientists will be collecting detailed calibrations, measurements, observations, and samples of predetermined sites. From this data, scientists are able to identify land use or cover of the location and compare it to what is shown on the image. They then verify and update existing data and maps.

Ground truthing is a way of looking at an entire mountain range, costal plane, forest, inland sea, coral reef, dessert, grassland, river, or marsh and understand many of the realities involved. With our present technology, we can measure an entire watershed and understand its capacities and impact on a region and mankind’s positive or negative influence.

Without ground truthing verification, our data from space is hypothetical at best."

http://www.missiongroundtruth.com/groundtruth.html