Spanish-Portuguese dictionary?

Milton   Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:08 pm GMT
try this one:

http://www.wordreference.com/ptes/

Yes. Spanish and Portuguese are close enough.
I spoke Brazilian Portuguese to a Paraguayan guy on a plane to São Paulo and we understood each other. When an air hostess brought us a cake, I learned the word TORTA. TORTA is apple pie in Portuguese, but (birthday/wedding) cake in Spanish; cake is said BOLO in Portuguese.

my favorite dictionary is Minidicionário espanhol-português
written by Eugenia Flavian & Gretel Eres Fernandez published by Editora Ática, São Paulo

http://www.submarino.com.br/books_productdetails.asp?Query=ProductPage&ProdTypeId=1&ProdId=43868&ST=CM11738

I also recommend you PODCAST: Brazilian Portuguese for Speakers of Spanish: tá falado http://tltc.la.utexas.edu/brazilpod/tafalado/
Anioda   Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:48 am GMT
Milton,

thanks great ,I will try it
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:40 am GMT
Well, about phonology, Portuguese from the Continent is very different from Portuguese from Brazil, so perhaps you should define which one you are going to learn.

There are also some differences, as for instance, from the example of Milton:
TORTA means PIE in P.Brazillian (TORTA DE MAÇA= APPLE PIE)

but in P.Portugal,
TORTA means ROLL CAKE (ROCAMBOLE in P.Bra)
TARTE means PIE

I dont know about any dictionary, sorry.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:55 am GMT
They're the same thing, I don't really know why Brazilans try so hard to pretend that they speak their own language, you don't, you speak Portuguese that's it, your differences are no bigger than the differences between Spanish from Spain, Mexico, Argentina, etc.
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 am GMT
"They're the same thing, I don't really know why Brazilans try so hard to pretend that they speak their own language, you don't, you speak Portuguese that's it, your differences are no bigger than the differences between Spanish from Spain, Mexico, Argentina, etc."

And who are you referring to?

As stated, I was talking about differences in phonology which is, indeed, very different.
Foreigners usually prefer the Brazilian phonology because it is easier, maybe something like American vs British. But that is not my business, I was just informing and clarifying some details.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:08 am GMT
And I was saying that wherever it is that they learn Portuguese, they'll be able to communicate with other Portuguese speakers, whether it is Portugal, brazil, Angola, etc.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 am GMT
not many Portuguese speakers in Angola, they prefer African languages at home, just like in Mozambique, Cape Verde, Guine Bisau and S. Tome
JGreco   Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm GMT
"I learned the word TORTA. TORTA is apple pie in Portuguese, but (birthday/wedding) cake in Spanish; cake is said BOLO in Portuguese."

Actually this is more complicated in Spanish than you think. "Torta" in many Caribbean dialects of Spanish including Panamanian (The one I am familiar with) does mean pie as in "Torta de Manzana (apple pie). To me birthday cake is either a "bizcocho" or a "pastel de chocolate, Vanilla etc... etc...." As in Portuguese Torta can mean pie in Spanish. By the way the 11% of words that are different between Portuguese and Spanish includes those that are considered false friends.

Ps. I love the "Ta Falado" website I think it gives a clear path for Spanish speakers to Brazilian Portuguese the only thing I find weird is the retroflex "r" pronunciation of the lady (Michelle) from Sao Paulo which sounds like the English "r". My mom is from the South (Florianopolis) and that pronunciation is weird sounding even for her. Carioca's don't have that Retroflex "r" right?
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
<<Ps. I love the "Ta Falado" website I think it gives a clear path for Spanish speakers to Brazilian Portuguese the only thing I find weird is the retroflex "r" pronunciation of the lady (Michelle) from Sao Paulo which sounds like the English "r". My mom is from the South (Florianopolis) and that pronunciation is weird sounding even for her. Carioca's don't have that Retroflex "r" right?>>

No, Cariocas don't.
The girl has the funny accent of people from a Northern region, not from Sao Paulo... Although she has clearly improved her pronunciation, she probably shouldn't be doing this, her accent still isn't a good example for anyone to learn with. =/
Milton   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
Michelle is from interior of Sao Paulo state, which uses retroflex R in syllable final position. Sao Paulo-city and south of Brazil use alveolar R, and the rest of Brazil used /x/ or /h/ in these positions: porta /pOhta/, mar /mah/...

In all Brazilian regions -r in infinitives is silent in colloquial style: amar /a'ma/, voar /vo'a/, unir /u'ni/...
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 pm GMT
Actually "Torta" in Mexican-spanish means sort of "panecillo". It's kind of awkward because in Vulgar-latin "torta" meant the same thing as in Mexican-spanish.

Vivan las tortas ahogadas!!!