Should English be considered a Latin language?

Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
Of course not ! why it should be ?

"One of my linguistics professors told us that, while Latin or Norman French accounts for maybe 40% of our vocabulary and Germanic about 40%, the words we use in every day speech are more like 10% Latin to 90% Germanic. "

Yes, true. English has really not that much more romance than German or Dutch (which also use a lot of words of latin origins)

"See, why is it that always English-speakers want their language to be romantic, that's not gonna happen deal with it. "

I ask myself the same question. why is there so much envy towards being of latin-derived culture ? why do so much english speakers want to become romance-speakers ?
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:48 pm GMT
you cannot expect everybody to understand French.

Exactly like you DON'T have to expect everybody understand English (like English speakers usually do).
There is NOT A LAW that compels everyone to know English

In the 21th century which we live in, ENGLISH IS THE RULING ONE REALLY...ACCEPT...

Yes, but many people start to learn Chinese....you know time changes...
Seljuk   Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:11 pm GMT
Chinese will never get over English and no other language really. English is simpler than any other important languages such as German, French, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Italian or else... Especially, really no question about Chinese because of its maddening writing system. With all these ideograms it is never possible for it to be a universal language, neither French by the way...
MAA   Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:15 pm GMT
<<Greg, as i don't speak French, I haven't understood much of what you have written. So i can't respond it. But i have an advice for you here.

Just accept that French is faaaaaaar behind of English. And as we don't live in the 17th century, you cannot expect everybody to understand French. In the 21th century which we live in, ENGLISH IS THE RULING ONE REALLY...ACCEPT... >>

You can use a translater, or learn ESPERANTO, INTERLINGUA... A REAL and CONSTRUCTED international language which is Neutral between all world peoples and which didn't favorize any guys.... Stupid arrogant...

It's a pity if you don't undestand Greg, because Greg is a real linguist...
Adolfo   Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
Esperanto and interlingua are not true neutral languages. Esperanto is based on indoeuropean languages, and slightly on romance languages more than slavic and germanic languages. Not to say interlingua, which is a Spanish-Italian-French potpourri. A true neutral language should be based on Asian, African and Indoeuropean languages at least.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
<<Chinese will never get over English and no other language really. English is simpler than any other important languages such as German, French, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Italian or else... Especially, really no question about Chinese because of its maddening writing system. With all these ideograms it is never possible for it to be a universal language, neither French by the way... >>

ARROGANT BASTARD.
English easiest? English men say that because their grammar is quite easy (with irregularity and stupid rules), but the pronunciation is so disorganized and irregular as orthography!!

Je préfére escrire en Francais plutot que continuer en Anglais avec des americains qui ne savent pas s'exprimer otrement qu'en Anglais...