Pronunciation of "always"

Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
How do you pronounce the word "always"? I've noticed that most Northwesterners pronounce it "ahweez", while most people that I've met from California and Arizona tended to use a different vowel sound--it sounded to me something like [o], but I'm not exactly sure. Is there an isogloss for these two pronunciations? Are there any other pronunciations?
Skippy   Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
I have a friend from Santa Cruz, CA and she says it with the open o but I just assumed it was because her dad's from England. I typically use the ah sound.
Milton   Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
Californian pronunciation is ['Alwejz, 'AlwIz or 'Alw@z]...with the ah sound (ah [A] as in: cot, caught, Don, Dawn, hottie, haughty, hot dog, tall doll...)

1. some people have silent L: ['Awejz, 'Awiz, 'Aw@z]

2. some people have [Q] for /A/ (because of dark L influence and /or Californian shift)
Milton   Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:00 pm GMT
G. Stefani has [A] in ALWAYS in the song ''Don't speak'' ;)
She's from Orange County, CA.

Dark L can affect the pronunciation of preceding sounds in many regions, so in the West TALL rhymes with DOLL, both have either /A/ or /Q/...in many parts of East Coast (excluding Boston) TALL and DOLL don't rhyme...

[@]+ [L] can sound like /Ql/ too: culture, pulse...
that ''L'' influence is very interesting, the same people from the West who have [Q] in TALL, CALL have [A] in TALLER, CALLER...go figure!

in the CCmerged accents [Q] is an allophone of /A/ and not vice versa...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOLF can be either [gAlf] or [gQlf]...I don't know if it would be convenient to draw the geographical distribution map or not...I think many people use /A/ and /Q/ interchangeably, especially those coming from CC merged areas.
M56   Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:19 pm GMT
allwiz
Lazar   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
I pronounce "always" ["Q:5weIz].
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
>> I pronounce "always" ["Q:5weIz]. <<

Very interesting. I would only pronounce it like that in very careful spelling pronunciation.
Travis   Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 am GMT
I normally pronounce "always" as ["Q:we:s], only pronouncing it as ["Q:Uwe:s] in rather careful speech (and such is likely a spelling pronunciation).
SpaceFlight   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:55 pm GMT
I say [A5weIz] for "always".