babies and ships are SHE not IT ;)
even animals don't like being called IT
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:25 pm GMT
<even animals don't like being called IT >

Really? Did they tell you that?
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
<even animals don't like being called IT >

"Really? Did they tell you that?"

Yep. It's the cats who get really angry, but the squirrels aren't too keen either. Doesn't bother my dog though.
Skippy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:10 am GMT
Ships, countries, guitars... All use girls' names (typically). It's to remind you to treat them like a lady... That's what the guy at the guitar shop told me when I first bought Jade... Then Silver... Then Ophelia... Then Josie...
beneficii   Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:29 am GMT
Referring to countries as "she" has become less common today, unless the person is trying to sound really formal or to effect a more old-fashioned sound.
beneficii   Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 am GMT
Guest,

<<I dunno, Benny, each time you post I say "It has submerged".>>

I don't even know what that means.
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:07 am GMT
<Referring to countries as "she" has become less common today, unless the person is trying to sound really formal or to effect a more old-fashioned sound. >

Or patriotic, emotional, romantic, etc.
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:26 am GMT
BTW, your thread question should be "what to call a baby".
Damian in London E14   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:28 am GMT
I think it's sad to dehumanise a baby by referring to her/him as an "it". You may as well refer to an adult as an "it" - what's the difference?

From what I know most babies have already had a name decided upon before s/he is born as the gender is usually known before birth anyway. If not then it's definitely she/he or her/him - never "it". You could be talking about a bag of potatoes and not a newly born real life human being, worthy of respect from the moment of conception.
Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:35 am GMT
Then again, Damian, to genderise a baby before it has the time to develop male or female characteristics may also be dehumanising.
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 am GMT
The question was:

<<A woman was surprised that I call a baby "it". Why?<<

Why was a woman surprised?

Damian's explanation is valid.
confen   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 am GMT
Why has nobody noticed that the name of this chat string is incorect?
"What to call a baby?" is correct, how indicates the manner of calling to a baby using the voice, rather than the naming of it. Here "it" is correct as there is no baby determined, therefore an abstract undetermined notion.
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:19 am GMT
This is not a chat string, this is very professional forum!

And you're right, the answer to: "How to call a baby?" is: Hey, baby!" or: "Goo, goo!"
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:30 am GMT
<Why has nobody noticed that the name of this chat string is incorect? >

Beat you to it: <<Guest Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:26 am GMT
BTW, your thread question should be "what to call a baby". >>
Gwest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:32 am GMT
<And you're right, the answer to: "How to call a baby?" is: Hey, baby!" or: "Goo, goo!">

Or by its name.