True and corect rules?

Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:22 am GMT
What's your take on the comment below when related to prescriptive rules of grammar? Are there true, correct prescriptive rules for English grammar?

"It is possible that in business there is one way or a few ways that reap maximum profits--more than any other method. If you accept this as true, then you must accept that there can be true, correct prescriptive rules."
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:34 am GMT
I suppose some people have come up with prescriptive rules for English Grammar -- in particular, ESL teachers.

Of course, native speakers learn English by "osmosis" (decades of total immersion), and not by prescriptive rules.
Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 am GMT
Sorry. Edit: True and correct rules?
Gwest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am GMT
<I suppose some people have come up with prescriptive rules for English Grammar -- in particular, ESL teachers.>

In particular, prescriptive grammarians, and for centuries.

<Of course, native speakers learn English by "osmosis" (decades of total immersion), and not by prescriptive rules. >

If that is so, why do so many native speakers on fora world over often quote prescriptive grammar rules when asked questions about usage? Also, are you telling us that the education systems in English speaking countries are not based on the prescriptive grammar rules of Standard English?
furrykef   Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 am GMT
I don't understand the business analogy.
Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
<I don't understand the business analogy. >

What about it do you not understand?
beneficii   Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
Divvy,

<<"It is possible that in business there is one way or a few ways that reap maximum profits--more than any other method. If you accept this as true, then you must accept that there can be true, correct prescriptive rules.">>

I'm afraid I have trouble seeing the logical link here. So, if in business, there is one way or a few ways to reap maximum profits (what does this mean, btw?), then there can be true, correct prescriptive rules (what does this mean too?)?
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
''If that is so, why do so many native speakers on fora world over often quote prescriptive grammar rules when asked questions about usage?''

because they are copy-pasting tall dolls (with no cot caught merger) LOL

Which is correct? It is I or It is me?
-to be is a linking word, so I should be used, not me...

Which is correct? Me and Jane went or Jane and I went...
-see previous answer

Which is correct? I dove or I dived?
-I dived; I dove is a Canadian usage

blablabla
who cares about normative grammarians advice?
beneficii   Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Guest,

"Dove" like that is used in the Southern US too, I believe.
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm GMT
<<"Dove" like that is used in the Southern US too, I believe. >>

Also used in parts of the northern US -- "dove" usually sounds more natural than "dived" to me, too.
Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:17 pm GMT
<I'm afraid I have trouble seeing the logical link here. So, if in business, there is one way or a few ways to reap maximum profits (what does this mean, btw?), then there can be true, correct prescriptive rules (what does this mean too?)? >

In business, there exist prescriptive rules on how to maximise one's profits. Such rules are not hotly contested, but, mostly, are followed and taken as "the truth". Are there many prescriptive grammar rules that are not hotly contested and are taken as the truth?
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
Also used in parts of the northern US -- "dove" usually sounds more natural than "dived" to me, too.

The phrase "dove for cover" set a small red light to winking on our editorial dashboard, so we pawed pages over to number 75 in our AP stylebook (2003), where we found: "dive, dived, diving--Not dove for the past tense." Another respected manual, The Wall Street Journal's "Guide to Business Style and Usage" (2002) by Paul R. Martin, also employs a nine word admonition, but includes an elbow: "dove--a bird. The past tense of dive is dived." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4422/is_1_21/ai_112360509
Divvy   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 pm GMT
Would anyone like to begin a "dove" thread?
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:42 pm GMT
usage
Dive, which was originally a weak verb, developed a past tense dove, probably by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense especially in speech in some parts of Canada. In the United States dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common than dove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tense dived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=dove
Guest   Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:46 pm GMT
Seconded: Would anyone like to begin a "dove" thread?