What does "Thumbed Edition" mean?

Shiny   Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
I found a dictionary that has 2 different editions on Amazon. One of them is called "Thumbed Edition", I don't know its meaning. These two editons have the same content, but slightly different in dimensions.

So, what does "Thumbed Edition" mean? I googled it, but didn't find its definition.

Thank you very much.
Guest   Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 pm GMT
The "thumbed edition" probably has cutouts on the side of the book that opens up, and labels for A, B, C, ... Z are pasted into these cutouts.
Guest   Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 pm GMT
The "thumbed edition" probably has cutouts on the side of the book that opens up, and labels for A, B, C, ... Z are pasted into these cutouts.
George   Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
When you've "thumbed" through the pages of something, it means you've scanned the written material by turning over its pages. Therefore, a "thumbed edition" of a book means it's used. If it's "well-thumbed", then it's probably worn and "dog-eared".
furrykef   Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
I think I'm going to have to go with Guest's definition on this one. Amazon does not refer to used books as a "thumbed edition"; it calls them "used books".
Guest   Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 pm GMT
Does the "Thumbed edition" cost a bit more? If so, it's probably not a used copy.
furrykef   Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
Moreover, I don't think I've ever seen the word "thumbed" used adjectivally. I might hear of a "well-thumbed book", but not a "thumbed book", unless there is a different meaning of the word "thumb", as we suspect. And a book would never be called a "well-thumbed edition" except as a joke (as if the publishers deliberately published an edition that looked old and used).

- Kef
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 am GMT
A thumbed edition of a book has thumb indexes.

http://www.therapybookshop.com/artwork/120073.jpg
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:39 am GMT
Thanks -- here's a case where a picture's worth a thousand words.
Shiny   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:10 pm GMT
Thank you guys.

The "Thumbed Editon" of the dicitonary costs exactly the same as the other editon, and they're all new ones. So I think all the "Guests" and furrykef are right here.

But when I was googling "Thumbed Edition", most of the results are actually "well-thumbed edition". In this case, I think George's definition is right.