spanish in the philipines

someoneintheworld   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:18 am GMT
i read that the president of philippines wants to make spanish an official language of the country by 2008 since filipinos need to learn spanish to understand their history and heritage, what do you think?
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 am GMT
¡Brava!

"La presidenta filipina pedirá ayuda a España para oficializar el español"
miércoles, 8 de agosto, 21.42

Buenos Aires, 8 ago (EFE).- La presidenta de Filipinas, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, estudia devolver al español en enero la condición de idioma oficial que perdió en 1987 y para ello pedirá colaboración a España, anunció hoy el secretario de la Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española, Humberto López Morales.

Al inaugurar un coloquio en Buenos Aires sobre la lengua española, López Morales afirmó que la gobernante filipina hará su petición de ayuda a España durante la visita que tiene prevista a ese país en diciembre.

La colaboración de España con su antigua colonia puede consistir, según el filólogo cubano nacionalizado español, en el envío de profesores y material bibliográfico para la enseñanza del idioma, entre otras medidas.

Si logra ayuda de las autoridades de España, posiblemente en enero dicte un decreto que oficialice el idioma español, apuntó López Morales.

Aunque Macapagal Arroyo ya ha expresado este deseo públicamente, es la primera vez que se concreta una fecha.

En abril pasado, el Instituto Cervantes de Manila pidió al Gobierno filipino que volviera a incluir el estudio del español como lengua oficial dentro del currículum de los alumnos de la escuela pública.

Filipinas suprimió el español de su sistema educativo en 1987, durante el Gobierno de la presidenta Corazón Aquino, bajo la nueva Constitución que se redactó tras la caída del régimen de Ferdinand Marcos.

Más de 5.000 personas estudian actualmente español en el país, según datos del Instituto Cervantes.
Babel   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:53 am GMT
Philippines has an important Hispanic Heritage. They are Catholics, they have Spanish names and surnames, they were Spaniards during 300 years. It´s normal to reintroduce Spanish as third official language.

In Timor with Portuguese, In Indochina with French or in Philippines with Spanish it is a good idea to reintroduce European Heritage.

Some Asiatic countries are a mixture of several countries and cultures. It will be a pitty to lose some of your own character!.
Vytenis   Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:21 am GMT
I think they should make their major local language the only official and concentrate on their philipino heritage. For example, Indonesia has only Indonesian as an official language. And Timor should speakTimorese, not Portugese. And Estonia or Lithuania speak Estonian and Lithuanian and not bloody Russian! Down with the colonialist mentality!!!
Aged   Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 am GMT
Sounds OK to me! Anything to screw the USA.
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:57 am GMT
Philiphines need to make Spanish official and destroy the muslim rebels of the South. Spain will help them .
Adolfo   Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 pm GMT
[I think they should make their major local language the only official and concentrate on their philipino heritage. For example, Indonesia has only Indonesian as an official language. And Timor should speakTimorese, not Portugese. And Estonia or Lithuania speak Estonian and Lithuanian and not bloody Russian! Down with the colonialist mentality!!! ]

Who cares about what they do in Indonesia. They are ruled by muslims teocrats and do not belong to the Western Civilization, so they are miles away from Philipines despite they are geographically quite close. Philipines has a very strong Western-Spanish-Catholic heritage, it is part of their roots, just as Indonesia is a muslim country. By the way, why Indonesians keep the muslim religion? This was not the original one.
Vytenis   Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
Why dont you want to be Tagalog and proud of it?
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
<<<Western-Spanish-Catholic heritage, it is part of their roots, just as Indonesia is a muslim country. By the way, why Indonesians keep the muslim religion? This was not the original one.<<<

Like, Western-Spanish-Catholic is the original religion/culture/whatever of Philipinos! LOL
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
Philippine has two main official languages which are Tagalog and English.
In reality, the local people still speak their own languages that are mutually unintelligible to each other.

I don't think it's a great idea to make another official language for the country.
It's a waste of brain. (Philippine already has two nationally recognized official languge!)

Just stick to your own language(Tagalog) and the international language of the world(English).
If you are fluent in Tagalog and English, that's good enough for living in the Philippines.
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:25 pm GMT
They want Spanish as third official language for economic reasons, not for Heritage, culture or other things:

1. They can have a lot of call centers in their country with people speaking English and Spanish (this is one of the ideas).

2. They want economic help of the Hispanic countries (Spain).

3. A lot of people from Asia and/ or Australasia will go to Philippines to study English and/ or Spanish.

4. They can be the economic bridge between the Americas and Asia.

5. If Philippine people are trilingual they can be teachers in almost all countries of the world.
Daniel   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:39 pm GMT
Again?

The Spanish language was abolished as a national language just decades ago. I think it's a waste of time re-introducing it, since they already have Filipino and English as the current national languages.

In the 1940s, there were 6 million native Spanish speakers in the archipelago, now the number has dwindled down to just a few thousands since younger generations have now switched to Filipino and English. There are even Spanish-based creoles spoken outside Metro Manila and in Zamboanga.

The reality, of course, is that many people are already more or less bilingual (some are trilingual) in their regional language and Filipino. Others understand English. In the Philippines alone, there are almost 200 native indigenous languages throughout.
guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
hell yeah!!
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
good, I wander how it would feel to speak Spanish with a Filipino... I guess I'll have to wait a couple of years to find out.
mac   Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 am GMT
Why not reinstate it? It was present there for almost 400 years or so. You can also hear the influence of Spanish in the National Filipino language. Vivan el espanol y el ingles!