Languages in Goa

Guest   Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
<< Tamil is the most spoken language in Pondicherry. >>

Here's another sample message of a hispanic fanatic who's very envious of the French language.

Surely, you didn't understand my message. French is still spoken in Pondicherry even though it's already a part of India for more or less 5 decades now and Tamil is the native language of the people there. So what's the problem? Are you upset because French and Portuguese still hold prestige on parts of India while Spanish does not?
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:54 am GMT
Spanish is stronger in Equatorial Guinea than French is in Pondicherry
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:46 pm GMT
How can that be when French is now stronger in Equatorial Guinea than Spanish?
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
of course not, people in Equatorial GUinea speak Spanish and English, and Portuguese too, now it E.G. joining the Community of Portuguese speaking countries, because on the island Annobon, they speak Portuguese
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
of course not, people in Equatorial Guinea speak French and it has adopted CFA Franc and Portuguese and Spanish is out , it's now a member of La Franccophonie and is joining the Community of Portuguese speaking countries, because on the island Annobon, they speak Portuguese
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:12 pm GMT
People in Equatorial Guinea speak French and it has adopted CFA Franc. Portuguese too is widely spoken and Spanish is definitily out. It's now a member of La Francophonie and is joining the Community of Portuguese speaking countries.

Parents now are giving French sounding names to their children instead of Spanish names.
Oriental   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:35 pm GMT
What about Portuguese in Macau? Does anybody there speak it? It is still one of the official languages in the territory, found on signage and ports of entry, but will it be completely replaced by english? I mean, I assume it is no longer taught...
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:05 pm GMT
In Macau they speak Cantonese and English, just like in Hong Kong.
Guest   Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
The official languages of Macau are Cantonese and Portuguese. English is spoken only in tourist areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/7066.htm
K. T.   Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:15 pm GMT
I haven't been in Macau for a few years, but I didn't find many people who spoke Portuguese there. Yes, there was Portuguese on the menus and there was ONE bookstore with Portuguese books that I remember.
K. T.   Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
I was glad that they used Portuguese in brochures, though. Between Kanji and Portuguese I could usually figure out what was needed. I did NOT hear it in the streets.